Windows 7 restore onecare back up files doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Unfortunately I installed Windows 7 not knowing that my backed up files can't be restored with onecare. I found the restore files program to download from Onecare but it didn't work. It estimates the files which takes half an hour then you click to select all files then 'restore files'. Nothing happens for several minutes and then it says it couldn't download the files. Has anybody a solution to this ? I have all my photo's, doccuments etc on my external back up drive and can't get at them. Frustrating
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 3:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Where is the backup located and how was it configured? External drive or network location? Backup for a Circle or single PC?

You can contact Support for help - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Or you can manually restore the data. The files are in .zip files that can be opened with WinZip and other 3rd party tools that handle .zip files. Large files, split to multiple .zip files will need to be renamed to have extensions of .000, .001, .002, etc and re-joined using this free utility: 

File rejoin utility - http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, October 4, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

the backup is on an external drive (G) and was configured as per normal in Onecare. It is for a single PC. It is strange the restore files program written by Microsoft doesn't work. It reads the files (estimates them) and then says its transfering them to my pc but then doesn't actually do it. It gives me the message that 0 files were restored. It would be better if it would work as planned rather then having to go through lots of unzipping. I'll wait for your answer before contacting support. Many thanks.

N. J. O'Brien
    Monday, October 4, 2010 4:39 PM
  • I agree that it would be nice if the restore went as planned. Since it reads the catalog and estimates the restore, I am hard pressed to speculate why it then fails. The usual point of failure would be when it tried to read the catalog and a backup done in a Circle to a network share, but now attached locally via USB is the configuration for restore or similar. I think that a support case is in order - they may have a solution for you that will avoid the painful manual unzip/rejoin process.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:13 AM