none
MS Money Password Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've just tried to open my MS Money programme, which I do on a regular basis and it tells me my password is wrong.  I haven't changed the password.  I've checked the obvious one of Caps lock being on!

Can I re-set the password in any way or any ideas as to how I access MS Money?

Thanks.

Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:44 AM

Answers

• Do not attempt to reset your password.

What version of Microsoft Money are you using? Does your password a simple password, or do you also have an associated email address?

Have you been entering your password regularly, or had you not actually entered your password for years?

There is a good chance that if you  know your credentials, restoring a backup (*.mbf) is going to be the cure for your problem. Make an extra copy of your *.mbf and *.mny files onto other media, such as a USB flash drive, while you get things going. A hard drive crash right now would be a big negative event.

There are 3 questions above.

• Proposed as answer by Wilbur Rhodes Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by GotaQ Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:20 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• Do not attempt to reset your password.

What version of Microsoft Money are you using? Does your password a simple password, or do you also have an associated email address?

Have you been entering your password regularly, or had you not actually entered your password for years?

There is a good chance that if you  know your credentials, restoring a backup (*.mbf) is going to be the cure for your problem. Make an extra copy of your *.mbf and *.mny files onto other media, such as a USB flash drive, while you get things going. A hard drive crash right now would be a big negative event.

There are 3 questions above.

• Proposed as answer by Wilbur Rhodes Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by GotaQ Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:20 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Carl,

Thanks for your reply.

Q1 Version 14.0.120.1105

Q2 Simple password and I don't put in an email when logging in.

Q3 I enter my password regularly (but I'm getting old!)

Can you tell me (looking at your solution) what the difference between *.mbf files and *.mny files are and if MS Money uses both to operate or will my version just use one of them? 

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:18 PM
  • A *.mbf is a Money Backup File. When you Open such a file, Money will ask where to restore to... a default which matches the filename and folder as previously used, or you can Browse to your Documents folder and choose a new name for the restored file. That is the one I would suggest to avoid confusion or permissions problems with the old file.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Cal,

My MS Money file is all up and running again so many thanks for your help.  I have backed-up as you suggest (on two devices!).  Checking previous Forum help that I had received, your named cropped up so good to see that you are still in there, even if MS don't support it any more.  I've not found anything that does the same job as MS Money so I think it a pity that MS didn't stick with it and update it.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:17 AM
  • Complete agree thank you Cal, GotaQ
    Friday, September 13, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Cal, 

What if I had an email address in the field and used my Microsoft Live account?  The password isn't working and it will not let me bypass it by checking use it off line. 

Benjamin

Monday, October 24, 2016 1:09 AM
  • Cal, 

What if I had an email address in the field and used my Microsoft Live account?  The password isn't working and it will not let me bypass it by checking use it off line. 

Benjamin

You need to use the email address and password that were in effect when you saved the *.mny file. The email part does not have to still be a working email address. The password part is case-sensitive.
    Monday, October 24, 2016 1:28 AM