none
Exception During Run Error: cannot access internal metadata- SyncToy 2.0 Beta RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know what the error is?

"Exception during run: SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in on of the folders being synchronized." I am copying from my PC to my Windows Home Server

Thanks!

Dave

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Did you uninstall SQL Server Compact by any chance?  Can you try to re-install SyncToy 2.0 Beta and let us know if this still happens?

Liam

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I did a Repair of SQL Server Compact and then re-ran SyncToy and it worked. Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:16 PM
  • I'm having this problem - SyncToy keeps pausing and saying it cannot access its metadata - can someone explain what this is and why it seems to be having a problem?

I haven't changed anything in the setup of SyncToy and its been quite happy for weeks but now suddenly it gets this error all the time...

Is it important - if so how do i fix it?

If its not and can be disregarded is there a way to supress error messages - it's incredibly annoying!
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 10:44 AM
  • Hi,

Do you happen to have an anti-virus checker that might be keeping the file locked and is not allowing synctoy to open the file? Are you seeing this at the beginning of syncs always? 

If you do have anti virus you can disable the anti-virus from checking the *.dat file used.

Liam

Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

No antivirus or similar software or programs running that would cause these files to be locked no.

I have Vista 64bit with just the Windows Firewall enabled.

It happens every time i Sync All folders

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Are you seeing this at the beginning of sync? 

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:13 PM
  • yes every time it starts and looks for changes in folders

Thursday, May 1, 2008 11:14 PM
  • OK thanks, now next question. 

You mentioned that this happens for all folder pairs, but does it also happen for any of the individual folder pairs?

Also, you don't happen to remember making any folders read-only do you?

Liam

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:05 AM
  • so far it appears to be on a Sync All Folders.

no folders are read only, they are being modified all the time with new files and folders

Friday, May 2, 2008 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

I think we have found why this can happen. Can you please confirm the theory? Looks like if you're on Vista and you have changed your User Account Control (UAC) settings after creating the folder pairs, you can get into this situation. The only work around we know of so far is to go through the following steps:

- Set UAC to the same setting it was at when you first created the folder pairs

- Sync all folder pairs so everything is in sync

- Delete folder pairs from SyncToy

- Set UAC setting to the one you wanted

- Re-create folder pairs

Please confirm if this was the issue and if the workaround works for you.

Thanks

Ashish Shah

Monday, June 16, 2008 7:01 PM
    Answerer
  • no, UAC was off when the pairs were created and hasn't been altered since this error occurred.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 7:05 PM
  • That's a bummer - I thought we had it figured out. Just so I understand the error scenario fully, you only get the error when you try to do a Run All or Preview All - is that correct? You're able to preview and sync each individual folder pair just fine without any errors? Also, can you confirm the exact error message you get - is it exactly the same as the one listed at the top of the thread?

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:35 PM
    Answerer
  • same error when i preview or sync any or indeed all folders

and yes same error as topic

Monday, June 16, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  z_ashish wrote:

Hi,

I think we have found why this can happen. Can you please confirm the theory? Looks like if you're on Vista and you have changed your User Account Control (UAC) settings after creating the folder pairs, you can get into this situation. The only work around we know of so far is to go through the following steps:

- Set UAC to the same setting it was at when you first created the folder pairs

- Sync all folder pairs so everything is in sync

- Delete folder pairs from SyncToy

- Set UAC setting to the one you wanted

- Re-create folder pairs

Please confirm if this was the issue and if the workaround works for you.

Thanks

Ashish Shah

Hi, I've had the same error message for a while.
    When I've installed SyncToy and created pairs, the UAC was off. Now I've checked it, and it was on. I don't remember that I turned it to. Could it be possible that when I installed Vista SP1, that SP1 turned UAC on?

Now I turned UAC off and SyncToy is working again. 

Thanks!
    Friday, June 20, 2008 7:29 PM
  •  Matd wrote:
    no, UAC was off when the pairs were created and hasn't been altered since this error occurred.

Hi, did you check the status of UAC? 

Did you install Vista SP1? 

I had the same problem, I had UAC turned off, but now it was on. I suspect installing SP1 changed it. 

I turned UAC off again and now SyncToy is working. 
    Friday, June 20, 2008 7:33 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  Can't be a UAC issue as I am on XP Pro.  I always get the error about 10% of the way through a 20GB partition whether all folders of just the one.  I don't think it is relevant but I am echoing to a TrueCrypt data safe that is mounted in a Humyo on-line virtual folder.  I saw a previous noter fixed the problem by repairing SQL Compact.  How is this done ?
    Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:44 PM
  • I'm having the same error as well, run XP Pro, and I can pretty much pinpoint the moment in time it began. 

I sync over a VPN from my drive at school to my home pc.  I recently switched to cable at home and now the VPN seems to drop all the time.  The first time I ran SyncToy after switching to cable, everything was going fine and the process was about 75% finished, then the VPN connection dropped which interrupted the sync.  From that point on, I get the error 'cannot access internal metafile' whenever I try to preview or run SyncToy.  Specifically, I believe I get the error when SyncToy reaches the folder where the original interruption occured.  I tried deleting the folder pair and re-adding it, but this did not help.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:13 PM
  • I am having the same problem. SyncToy is installed on my Windows Home Server. I want to use it to backup folder on the system drive to the Shares\Software folder. If I create a new folder pair I can sync once. The next time I try to sync I get the error immediately. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled both SyncToy and SQL Server CE.
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:25 AM
  •  azjerry1 wrote:
    I am having the same problem. SyncToy is installed on my Windows Home Server. I want to use it to backup folder on the system drive to the Shares\Software folder. If I create a new folder pair I can sync once. The next time I try to sync I get the error immediately. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled both SyncToy and SQL Server CE.

Having the same problem with Windows Home Server / Synctoy. I'm using XP Pro SP2 copying to WHS SP0 (both ways). The first time, it ran fine, but now it comes up with this error immediately. Tried the SQL repair, turned AV off and checked the folder read only settings - all to no avail.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Hi, I cannot sync my folder pair for the first time on vista and it's fine on xp. i get the error:

Exception during preview: SyncToy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being synchronized.

The first time says "looking for changes," it crapped out in one of enterprise library source bin folders. so i deleted the folders from the left, my usb drive, and tried preview again. It got farther and has started to *** out in folders with bare AssemblyInfo.cs files from the source code of a c# book.

WTF? My *** synched just fine at work Smile I installed synctoy like i did on xp. then when it didn't work, I uninstalled and reinstalled running the installer with run as admin. I also tried running the console sync app in cmd prompt with run as admin. 

i turned off my av, and i'm sure sql ce is running to some degree because it scans for a while and it craps out on files, some empty folders, anyway.

anybody know any fixes? Or know reason for exceptions? thanks and regards,

G-
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:27 AM
  • I am also receiving the same issue attempting to sync 1 folder with multiple subfolders and files to a duplicate. One resides on my laptop (win xp SP3) the other on my WHS (HP Media Smart Server). I am useing the Sync Toy 2.0. I created a shortcut to the Media Smart file on my Vista machine.

Would be great if I can sync a folder and access it from either my desktop and/or LapTop.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 12:37 AM
  • Tuesday, August 5, 2008 12:50 AM
  • found this via google, as Im having exactly the same problem "exception  during preview: synctoy cannot access its internal metadata file in one of the folders being syncronized" ( windows 7 home premuim)

The please look at this thread message just says this

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /error/error404.aspx

Which is unhelpful in the extreme

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:16 PM