locked
Outlook Client Mail Merge problems RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi I wonder if anybody is able to help me.

    We have started experiencing a problem with the MSCRM Client for Outlook where on performing a Mail Merge an internet explorer screen is opened and our users are asked to open/save a file. This is the correct behaviour when accessing CRM through a web browser but shouldn't happen when using Outlook. Also this doesn't happen all of the time - some times it will work as expected and then start the "web" type behaviour the next time.

    Does anybody have any ideas?

    Thanks

    Darren
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

  • If the name of the file is blank.aspx you may save the file that it is asking you to save on your desktop.  Right click on it and open it.  Choose to open it with Internet Exporer and choose "always use this"... 
    This problem was resolved in one of the Update Rollups for Dynamics CRM so you may also apply latest one.
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for the response.
    The file generated is just the word document - exactly the same as if you were to browse to the CRM server and do a mail merge via the web based system. However, usually whilst using the Outlook client this doesn't happen - word is just opened up and the mail merge starts.

    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi Darren
    I'm sad to say that we experience the same behavoir. When it happens the users are instructed to logoff and login again - that's the fastest thing to do. I have a hunch it has to do with a timeout of a sort, but have not been able to get an answer from MS.
    Regards, Jens Nielsen www.gi.dk
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Hi Jens

    Thanks for your info. Could I just ask - are you using a Terminal services set up at all? We have recently deployed CRM via a Terminal Services solution and we are wondering if this is could be causing our problem.

    We have also contacted Microsoft regarding this problem - but we have not had much luck troubleshooting it yet.


    Regards

    Darren
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Hi Darren

    No, we don't use Terminal services, we use standard PC clients with Outlook CRM clients on an in-house solution.

    MailMerge gives us some trouble - the file that attaches to the activity at the merge sometimes don't show the data, but only field names. I just discovered that has to do with the View selected in Word.... if the View is Normal all is good, but if it's Print layout, then file is corrupted.


    Regards, Jens Nielsen www.gi.dk
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:48 PM