Promise ATA133 TX2 controller, can I install 2 of them? RRS feed

• Question

• My RocketRAID 454 card (8 drives) is doing some weird things... drives attached to it are reported by WHS to be failing even though they're brand new drives. I suspect this is a RocketRAID problem rather than drive problems.

I have two Promise ATA133TX2 controller cards (can control 4 drives each) sitting in the closet that I'm not using.

Is it possible to install BOTH of these cards to replace the RocketRAID card? Or will WHS puke on this? For that matter, will the motherboard puke?

Any potential issues here I should watch out for?

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sure, I see no problem with that.

Thing to consider tho, that the 2 cards, I assume they are pci, to put them in bus slots that not in sharing, as you can find that in your motherboard manual, as bus slot 1 share resources with bus slot 3, so, in that case, put second controller card in slot 2 and s on.

Also, the 2 cards should not be in the same IRQ if possible, if they are option to change the irq address, it will be good idea to do, if not, do it within the BIOS.

Yes, as many OS can do PnP, but better to go that way.

Finally, from the BIOS you can chose what prime drive to boot.

My best.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 8:21 AM
  • Also, IF they are PCI, don't forget that they will be competing for space/time on the bus. This could be noticable if duplication is taking a path from one drive on one card, via the bus to a drive on the other card.

If the RocketRaid has any onboard processing, it might not have the same limitations.

Other than that, there should be no problem with WHS handling it.

Colin

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Long time back, I found out you can have a maximum of three Promise controllers in your system. The fourth breaks the BIOS sequence.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:26 PM