WHS Connector and ZA Conflict - Slow Startup RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have the WHS connector software and Zone Alarm installed together on their computer? If so, are you experiencing any slow bootup issues when starting into Windows?

I have noticed that when I have WHS connector software and Zone Alarm free (version 7.0.483.000) installed it will cause Windows (XP) to startup really slow (about 2-3 mins before it actually loads a desktop with the taskbar). My normal startup without either WHS connector software or Zone Alarm installed, Windows starts-up relatively fast about 30 seconds.

I have checked the registry value - HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout to see if it is set to 20000 (default value), which is meant to improve bootup time for Zone Alarm, and it is already set to teh default value.

I have also tried installing the latest version of Zone Alarm and this does not improve on startup.

I've had slow bootup issues only until recently compared to when I first had my WHS.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:35 AM

Answers

• If asked, Microsoft would probably point at ZoneAlarm, and Check Point Software would probably point a finger at Windows Home Server. I would suggest submitting a bug on Connect, including logs from the client that's having the issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:53 PM

All replies

• How long does it take for your computer to boot with the connector, but without ZoneAlarm installed?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Without Zone Alarm installed Windows starts up normally at about 30 seconds with the connector installed and this startup time is roughly the same (slightly longer by a few seconds) if I have Zone Alarm installed but without the connector installed. This computer is running Windows XP MCE.

As I explained originally when I have both programs installed the computer, it would just hang on startup at the stage where the desktop wallpaper is shown for about 2-3 mins and then the computer would load up the desktop with taskbar.

I have gone through the steps of uninstalling AVG and Windows Defender on the machine to diagnose what was causing the slow startup and I found the conflict between Zone Alarm and the WHS Connector.

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:24 PM
  • If asked, Microsoft would probably point at ZoneAlarm, and Check Point Software would probably point a finger at Windows Home Server. I would suggest submitting a bug on Connect, including logs from the client that's having the issue.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Ken. I will log the bug on connect.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:38 PM