Beyond Frustrated at Discontinuation of OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I am using OneCare on my two computers, on my sisters 3 computers, and my mom & dad's computer.  I use it for printer sharing, wireless networking, photo backup.  I am the "IT" resource for my family and a Microsoft fan.  I love OneCare.  It makes my life so much easier, and it works so well and it is not a resource hog.  I am astounded that MS would give up on OneCare so soon.  This is more of an Apple move (to screw over their customers with new products).  Is there a MS plan for somebody like me who is using ALL of OneCare's features.  MS Security Essentials will only do the malware protection part, right?  Also, if I upgrade to Windows 7 before my OneCare subscription has expired, will MS refund my money?  If not, are my options to wait until my subscription is over then upgrade or lose my money?  Lastly, if I upgrade to Windows 7 and can't use OneCare anymore, how can I manage my OneCare Circle?  This is the first time that I feel that MS has really left me 'holding the bag'.  Why should I trust them with a another consumer-level product?
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:49 AM

Answers

• Many people are not happy with the decision to end OneCare. We can only speculate as to the reasons for this move.

Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials is only antivirus and antispyware. Think of it as Windows Defender plus antivirus..
    If you stop using OneCare before the end of your susbcription for any reason, you won't get a refund. A refund is typically available within 30 days of purchase. Yes, I'd say that your options are to delay the upgrade to Windows 7 or switch to Windows 7 when it is released and abandon the OneCare subscription. Since OneCare can be on up to 3 PCs with the single subscription, though I would think that some of your family's computers will not be upgraded immediately - that's 6 PCs or 2 subscription. At the discount Windows 7 upgrade pricing, that's about $300 in the US for the half price deal or $600 for straight upgrades...
    In any event, once OneCare is off the PCs, there is no OneCare circle.

I can't tell you what to do or why, but I can tell you that I think that OneCare development took a wrong turn in adding the features that you will miss. It is a shame that there isn't a replacement for some of those features, but you will find that many of the features are actually not needed in a Windows 7 environment. The only thing missing is remote monitoring of the status of security on the remote PCs. Printer sharing, networking, and maintenance are all better in Windows 7 with Home Groups.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:18 PM