Birthday reminders RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an HTC S710 with Windows mobile standard 6. I have entered birthdays and anniversaries into my contacts and no reminders pop up and it doesn't go into the calender. Whats the use of having it?
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:23 AM

Answers

•  boydston wrote:

Did you enter the birthdays on your Tytn II or in Outlook?  I have the Tilt (ATT's Tytn II) and if I enter birthdays on the mobile, Outlook does not create/update the birthday calendar items (which means no reminders either).  The birthday DATA of the contacts does sync, Outlook just does not seem to notice.  If I enter birthdays in Outlook, it creates the birthday events and also the reminders. 

I entered the birthdays on my Tytn II and they were syncronized with the Outlook contacts too.
    But you have to know that I just solved the problem!!!!
    I've read somewhere a sort of trick.... that has worked also for me!!!

1 - Open Outlook (without the PDA connected)
    2 - Close Outlook
    3 - Open Outlook again (at this point I made some stuff like opening a contact or something else ...but this should not be important)
    4 - Close Outlook
    5 - Connect you PDA and Sync!!!
    6 - Check you calendar in some future date where there should be a birthday reminder! Enjoy!!

It doesn't seem an elegant and scientific method.... but it worked for me! Thanks Microsoft for this mysteries!
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Friday, March 20, 2009 4:24 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2008 8:30 AM

All replies

• DaveHTCS710,

For this to work you need to synchronize with Outlook on your PC. After you added a birthday or anniversary to a contact on your device, you need to sync with your PC. A recurring appointment will be created and a reminder added to it. Once that is done in Outlook, the info is automatically updated on your smartphone as well.

I usually manage alll birthdays on my PC and sync to my device. It happens that I modify a contact while on the go and since I sync everyday, this is not really a problem. Most important to me is to know that my main data is on the PC and should something happen to my phone, I have my Contacts and Calendar data handy. Your device allows you to take your data with you, which is great, but I advise you do all your data management on your PC and always sync your device as soon as possible after making changes on it. 

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:56 AM
  • Hi Linley,

Firstly thanks for the respone.

The problem is that i do not sync with outlook at all. I just want to be reminded about birthdays etc. On the phone i have captured the birthdays onto the contacts directly.

Looks like i'm going to have to set them up as recurring calender entries instead.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:59 AM
  • You're welcome.

The recurring events option is indeed the solution that applies to you.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:31 AM
  • Need some help over these recurring events!

When, based on the birthdays of my contacts, these recurring events are made into Outlook's calendar, the reminder for these events beeps at 8.00 o'clock in the morning!!!

When I tried to manually disable the reminder, the next time I connected my windows smartphone with the computer and the sync took placed, I had double recurring events for each birthday!!!

Does anybody know what I can configure so as to disable the reminder of these recurring events when I connect my smartphone?

Thanks in advance,
    Harry

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Avoid using signs or symbols in the labelling of your reminders. For example, instead of "Harry's birthday", type "Harrys birthday". Let me knowif this helps.

Friday, October 5, 2007 4:31 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Let me explain something; I don't create the reminders! They are automatically created when I synchronize my smartphone with outlook.

For example in the contact "Harry" in my smartphone, I've put the birthday 1/1/80. Then when I synchronize the smartphone there is a new recurring event every 1st of January, named "Harry's birthday" and with the reminder set to 15 minutes. And it beeps at 8 o'clock in the morning!

So what I need to find is if I can configure how these automatically generated reminders of the recurring events. For example I want the automatically created recurring events to set their reminders to none so as to do not beep at all.

Thanks,
    Harry
    Friday, October 5, 2007 11:09 AM
  • Harryall,

When you create the Birthday in Outlook, don't you set the reminder to none there? 

Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:32 AM
  • I hope this does not appear as a double post.  There have been some issues with the forums today.  I just replied to this and now the reply is gone so I will try it again.

When you create a Birthday, you create in in Outlook on your PC if I read your comment correctly.  Don't you set the reminders there to be none?

Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Hi,

I have a slightly different problem.

I have a Tytn II with WM 6

My contacts have birthday information but neither on the PDA nor on the Outlook 2007 calendar I get a pop up nformation for birthdays. (i syncronized it many times, but there is no way of getting the birthdays information.

With wm 5 and previous PDA phone Qtek S100 I used to have the information in the day entry and in the upcoming events bar.

Can anyone help me?

Friday, October 19, 2007 11:56 AM
  •  Help_Line wrote:

When you create a Birthday, you create in in Outlook on your PC if I read your comment correctly.  Don't you set the reminders there to be none?

No, I don't create the birthday on my PC.

I just put the birthday in my contact in the smartphone and when I synchronize it a birthday reminder is automatically created in Outlook.
    Friday, October 19, 2007 12:37 PM
  •  

Interesting enough, I have never even used that way to do my Birthday reminders.  I like seeing them on my monthly calendar so I have always added the ones I want as a yearly re-occuring appointment.

I should change....

Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:46 PM
  • I too Have a TyTN II and WM6. I use Vista and Outlook 2007. In my case I have lots of birthday reminders. I put the Birthday into the contact details of the PC, and Outlook automatically creates a reminder, set to 1.5 days. You can edit these reminders. Go to calendar and double click the reminder. Select "edit series" and make your changes there.

My problem is, my alarm goes off at midnight on the evening before which is frustrating. 1.5 days is not a standard reminder, which offers 0.5 days, 18 hours, 1 day etc, so is this the problem? It used to work fine under WM5. 1.5 days is convenient as it means that, if my friend's birthday is 31st, I get reminded at midday 29th, giving me time to get a card or whatever.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:17 AM
  •  

I have the same issue as this guy.  I can enter a birthday into either the PDA (HTC Tytn, WM6) or the Outlook on the PC, and it gets replicated by Exchange 2003 server back to the PDA so all synch works fine (I too am using Outlook 2007 on Vista, if this is relevant).  The birthday itself is in the Contact record but doesn't appear in Calendar no matter what I do, hence it's not very useful!  Actually, I found a nifty little freebie utility called TodayAgenda for the PDA which allows much better customisation of the tasks/calendar etc. displayed on the PDA Today screen, and THIS shows me the birthday when it's due (e.g. within 5 days).  But Outlook Calendar on either the PC or the PDA?  Nope.  This seems fundamentally flawed:  I'd expected birthdays to be an all-day appointment etc. that you could view from the weekly or monthly view but nope:  no use at all then.  Ironically I've just finished removing all my recurring events and adding the details into my Contact birthday fields thinking this was a more integrated way.  Now I'm kicking myself as it seems this functionality doesn't work.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:30 PM
  • For the people who dont have a outlook, you can try this,
    I had downloaded the SDK for developing the mobile application using Visual Studio 2005,
    In that SDK, there had been many sample programs with the codes for my help...
    One of the program was to catch all the birthday entries from the contacts, and add a reminder for it in the Calendar...
    So anyone who dosent have outlook can use this application to add the reminders....
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:10 AM
  • Hi everybody,

what is happening with this problem, Still not fixed, I see that there is about 1 500 people that visited this Subject .... I guess that 1 500 still have the problem. Is microsoft fixing this?... Anyone could help me?... is there a solution out there for this

THankx in advance

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:58 PM
  •  

How do I set the reminders to None?
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:16 PM
  •  TJude wrote:

How do I set the reminders to None?

In Outlook (desktop)?  Windows Mobile?  On your wrist watch?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:40 AM
  •  D0me wrote:

Hi everybody,

what is happening with this problem, Still not fixed, I see that there is about 1 500 people that visited this Subject .... I guess that 1 500 still have the problem. Is microsoft fixing this?... Anyone could help me?... is there a solution out there for this

THankx in advance

Here, here!  I just noticed I have a big problem with birthdays.

I have an ATT Tilt (WM 6) that syncs with Outlook 2007 thru Exchange 2007.  When I edit a contacts birthday info, Outlook does not automatically do anything with it.  For example, if I add a new contact with a birthday, Outlook does NOT automatically create the birthday event.  Another example: I have a contact that already has birthday data and the corresponding birthday event.  On my mobile, I edit the contacts birthday, confirm the edit sync'd properly, but Outlook does not update the birthday event with the new date.  In addition to that, the birthday event is no longer "linked" to the contact, such that if I delete the contact, the birthday event remains.

This seems to be a pretty significant problem (assuming I am not a complete anomaly).  Anyone know anything about this?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 9:44 AM
  •  NunoPers wrote:

Hi,

My contacts have birthday information but neither on the PDA nor on the Outlook 2007 calendar I get a pop up nformation for birthdays. (i syncronized it many times, but there is no way of getting the birthdays information.

With wm 5 and previous PDA phone Qtek S100 I used to have the information in the day entry and in the upcoming events bar.

Can anyone help me?

Exactly the same problem!!! I syncronize my Tytn II every day with Outlook 2007 but no events in calendar!
    Please ...give us some fix!!!
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:09 AM
  •  MauzZ wrote:
     NunoPers wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

Exactly the same problem!!! I syncronize my Tytn II every day with Outlook 2007 but no events in calendar!
    Please ...give us some fix!!!

Did you enter the birthdays on your Tytn II or in Outlook?  I have the Tilt (ATT's Tytn II) and if I enter birthdays on the mobile, Outlook does not create/update the birthday calendar items (which means no reminders either).  The birthday DATA of the contacts does sync, Outlook just does not seem to notice.  If I enter birthdays in Outlook, it creates the birthday events and also the reminders. 

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:51 PM
  •  boydston wrote:

I entered the birthdays on my Tytn II and they were syncronized with the Outlook contacts too.

2 - Close Outlook
    3 - Open Outlook again (at this point I made some stuff like opening a contact or something else ...but this should not be important)
    4 - Close Outlook
    6 - Check you calendar in some future date where there should be a birthday reminder! Enjoy!!

It doesn't seem an elegant and scientific method.... but it worked for me! Thanks Microsoft for this mysteries!
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Friday, March 20, 2009 4:24 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2008 8:30 AM
  •  MauzZ wrote:

2 - Close Outlook
    4 - Close Outlook

Talk about a "Mickey Mouse" fix!  I am glad it works for you.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:35 AM
  • I have a similar problem, with a twist - not only are some of the birthdays of my contacts missing from my calendar, I also have duplicate birthday and anniversary dates that show up on my calendar.

I have a Sprint HTC Touch.  Up until I upgraded from WinMo 6.0 Pro to WinMo 6.1 Pro this past Monday (HTC/Sprint ROM upgrade), I used to sync my phone to a WinXP laptop (Outlook 2003) and a WinVista laptop (Outlook 2007), but now I am only syncing w/ the WinVista laptop.

I enter everything on my phone, then sync it back to my laptop at least once a week.  I'd rather not enter the info on the laptop since I don't bring that around w/ me all the time, but my phone goes w me just about everywhere.

I will try the solution listed above (the 'Mickey Mouse' fix) and see if that works.  Meanwhile, if anyone else has ideas as to how to get rid of the duplicate b-day/anniversary calender entries, I'd be happy to try those too.

Thanks!

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:13 PM
  • i just tried the above solution, and it doesn't work for me (winMoPro6.1/xperia/outlook2003/activesync4.5). i'm considering installing some third party software to get the job done.

this is quite a shame, microsoft. i use windows mobile precisely because it's the best replacement for lugging a laptop around. i'm away from a computer for weeks on end. this issue has been around for years now. is anyone listening?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 6:27 AM
  • This is probably one of the most frustrating things about Windows Mobile.  It's such a simple feature that almost every other phone (including ones that are much older) have. 

I enter a contact's birthday, it should show up on the calendar.  End of story.  If not everyone wants it?  Add an option to disable the feature.  I shouldn't have to use Outlook to do it.  I don't, and don't ever plan on using outlook to sync my contacts or calendar.  Especially with more and more options like MyPhone where everything is done through the cloud, there is NO reason Outlook should be required for something that is so simple.

Please MSFT, add this simple feature.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 12:38 AM
  • Guys.

It is very simple. Use symbian :)). Or use additional aplication. Really embarrasing stuf for WM.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:04 AM
  • Bump.  Anyone from MSFT know if you guys are planning to include this feature?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:22 PM
  • When I enter data in the birthday and anniversary fields of my contacts in Outlook on my desktop machine eventually some of the events get duplicated over and over again.  I've wasted so much time deleting duplicate birthdays and anniversaries.  I always set these events for no notification, but somehow the notifications get turned on.  I think it has something to do with syncing Outlook to multiple devices.

Finally, I've just removed birthday and anniversary information from the fields for all my contacts that had them and just reentered them as recurring events.  I hope this will fix the problem of duplication and alarms that I don't want.

The birthday and anniversary fields, with an automatic entry of events in the calendar for these events, seems like a nice option, but it's just too buggy for me....
    Prof Julie, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices | http://pocketprimer.com
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:50 AM
  • I just got an LG Expo and am having the same problem it seems ... Entering a birthday in your Outlook Calender accomplishes nothing ... no reminders created etc.  solution is to actually put the birthdays as appointments in your calendar ... my Palm Treo did a great job with this .... you could enter birthdays as events with no time, just as an event on that day with recurring and alarms, with windows mobile you must assign a time to it if you put it in your calendar. 
    Friday, March 12, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Yes I think very embarrassing for WM not to even give the option of having the date dump from your contact info into your calendar!!!
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 12:05 AM