none
SyncToy configuration settings in an XML file suggestion RRS feed

• General discussion

• It appears that the configuration settings for SyncToy are in a compiled file called:  SyncToyDirPairs.bin

It would be great if instead of using a .BIN file, you stored the pair information in an XML file.  Not only is this alternative more open and standards based, it would add a lot of flexibility to setting up and copying configuration settings programmatically.

And, one attribute for a pair setting that might be helpful is a percentage of bandwidth the pair job is allowed to take.  This way, synchonizing over the Internet, you'd be able to have a little more control over how much bandwidth the sync process takes.

Friday, February 29, 2008 2:46 PM

All replies

• I agree

Monday, November 17, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Hello
    Any way to edit .bin file?
    (What software and can use to edit/copy sync folders or locations)
    Thanks
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:56 PM
  • I don't understand why Microsoft continue to use encrypted or binary files for storing data.

Camillo
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:55 PM
  • SyncToyDirPairs.bin just a binary format file. All of the folder pairs info are stored in it.
    SyncToy does not support user to modify these info manually, except you delete/create folder pairs through SyncToy UI.
    Modify a existing folder pairs' action through UI is allowed, but change the paths is not supported.

Thanks,
    Ping

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Stale thread, but what the heck.

Unfortunately, no aspect of SyncToy is supported, so that argument is completely irrelevant.

But using an XML file, INI file, or registry key would make it a simple matter to script or even control by Group Policy Preferences. And I know that would help system admins out, because I am one, and that's what I came here to find out!
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:07 AM