duped RRS feed

• Question

• hi I bought a windows 7 ultimate upgrade some time ago at a reputable outlet STAPLES. I brought it home and installed it as far as know correctly. not long after I was being urged to install a product key as mine was incorrect. then I started seeing the warning that my version of windows 7 was counterfeit. I was continually getting warnings to ativate a genuine product key. I evetually gave in and bought an genuine upgrade from microsoft. I tried installing the genuine version of 7 and was informed that the genuine version was outof date and that the counterfeit version was more up to date. as a result I could not load the new version of 7. Now  im stuck with a version of widows 7 ulimate and a big hole in pocket. 
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:06 AM

Answers

• First of all, observe announcement 1 above.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Second, it sounds like you have upgraded to service pack 1.  If you installed SP1, remove it.  Then try the upgrade.  However, the upgrade may not work since the base is not genuine.

It sounds like you purchased online from the Microsoft Store.  What you may need to do is return the upgrade and purchase a full license copy.  You should have 45 days from purchase to do this.  If you purchase a full license copy of Ultimate you will not have to reinstall Windows but can simply change the product key at the bottom of the System Properties page.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• First of all, observe announcement 1 above.

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Second, it sounds like you have upgraded to service pack 1.  If you installed SP1, remove it.  Then try the upgrade.  However, the upgrade may not work since the base is not genuine.

It sounds like you purchased online from the Microsoft Store.  What you may need to do is return the upgrade and purchase a full license copy.  You should have 45 days from purchase to do this.  If you purchase a full license copy of Ultimate you will not have to reinstall Windows but can simply change the product key at the bottom of the System Properties page.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:50 PM
    Answerer
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:12 PM