off topic - Computer Hangs is in tight loop when in Windows Internet Explorer RRS feed

• General discussion

• When in Windows Internet Explorer at Princess.com web site, my system will lock up (cursor does not move) when processing a new screen through menu and or link type options.  I have looked at the error logs and no errors are being reported.  This problem currently seems to occur with the princess.com site. 

What ever is happening, should not cause the computer to hang.  When the cursor hangs,  it is an indication of a tight loop with the interrups disabled.  In order to try to isolate the problem I turned off the firewall and also virus protection.  This did not resolve the problem and the computer would hang up the same way.

I have not noticed this problem with any other web site nor with any other application so I believe that my computer is OK.  I do not think that my ISP could be causing the problem and I certainly do not think the Princess.com web application could be causing this problem. 

My system is up today with the latest XP upgrades and patches. 

Do you have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Don Nester 

Monday, June 2, 2008 12:44 AM

All replies

• Try updating to the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. You might also try running Internet Explorer with add-ons disabled. The best resource for help with this would be the Internet Explorer newsgroup - http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&cat=en_us_28cca3eb-7037-4d4f-bde1-d8efee1f1420&lang=en&cr=us

Monday, June 2, 2008 1:00 AM
  • Hi JimR1

I disabled the Yahoo and Google helper and tool bars and the problem seems to have gone away, but I am still not total convinced that I have solved the problem.  My XP system contains my internet connection and my Windows 2000 is connected to my XP system via an either net connection on my local network.  As an experiment, I used my Win2000 system to visit the problem Web site and did not experience any problems.  The Win2000 system is an old 0.3  GHz system and of course was a bit slower than the 2.8 Giga hertz XP system. 

I visited the Internet Explorer newsgroup site, but did not see any problems that were similar to mine. 

I will get back to you after I have had time to experiment a little more.

Thanks for the advice,

Don Nester

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:31 PM
  • The computer still hangs in a tight loop.  The following warning message is in the One Care log

Broadcast messaging failed to contact the broadcast messaging server. URL=https://bm.onecare.live.com/bm.aspx?amb=0001000507980000&ame=000100010E140000&asd=0001002300760000&avd=0001002300760000&br=Default&ccv=000100080007000B&cv=0000000000000000&fv=0&g1=37&g2=GN&l=en-us&o=x&p=8&r=3&s={1033fb6e-438f-48aa-9ac5-f28fb1592ac4}&v=0002000009C4001E. The data is the failure HRESULT.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Tried to go to the link, but it will not come up?   In simple wordws what is the meaning of the above error message.

I updated to the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player  and disabled the add-ons for Yahoo and Google.   Since this occurs only on my XP system running One Care and not on my Win2000 system that is not running Once Care, I have to suspect One Care!

Your help would be appreciated,

Don Nester 

Saturday, June 7, 2008 3:13 AM
  • The error message in the One Care log means that the One Care service was not able to connect to the update server. This is a common startup error and is not related to the issue you are having. I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, June 8, 2008 10:37 PM