none
Who takes takes the ownership of an application you have developed for a company

General discussion

• Hello ,

I work as a software developer for an insurance company. I have created some small business applications using Visual Studio and other tools, where other employees can accomplish their daily tasks. I am the only one who writes code there. The idea of the software was mine, they just explained me the problem , and asked what might be the solution .  Recently I am planning to quit from that company.  I wonder who takes the rights to use the application, what about the source code? Before I started working for them, employers had to use MS Excel and some other tools to accomplish their tasks. Do I have rights to take the applications and the source code with me when I quit, or they must stay as a proprietary of the company. In the contract is not specified who takes  rights of the ownership.

Thanks.

Sorry if the question is out of the forum category.

Admir

• Edited by admiri92 Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:41 AM writting mistake
    • Moved by Just KarlModerator Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:21 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The MSDN, TechNet and Expression Library Feedback forum is to "Help improve the Library Experience in MSDN, TechNet and Expression by providing feedback on features, bugs, look and feel or by just providing suggestions". This is not a support forum.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Hello,

I am sure this will vary based on your country of residence, and you will get no legal advice here, so I'd suggest consulting a lawyer, or the company's hr department (or even your current boss).

Karl 

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:21 PM
  • Hello ,

I work as a software developer for an insurance company. I have created some small business applications using Visual Studio and other tools, where other employees can accomplish their daily tasks. I am the only one who writes code there. The idea of the software was mine, they just explained me the problem , and asked what might be the solution .  Recently I am planning to quit from that company.  I wonder who takes the rights to use the application, what about the source code? Before I started working for them, employers had to use MS Excel and some other tools to accomplish their tasks. Do I have rights to take the applications and the source code with me when I quit, or they must stay as a proprietary of the company. In the contract is not specified who takes  rights of the ownership.

Thanks.

Sorry if the question is out of the forum category.

Admir

I asked this with my company. I am assigned to a customer site. So I asked who owned the code? My Company, the Customer, or myself. They responded the customer since I am there for them. They said however I may keep copies of the code for my portfolio. I talked to a lawyer about this as well.

The lawyer said it depends where it was developed. If mostly on your own personal computer after hours, it is yours. If on the company computer during work hours it is theirs.

If it was a mixed, then it is best to leave it their. In any case you can always take a copy for yourself, unless you work for a software company that is selling the software you worked on, then nope you can't no matter what.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:25 PM
  • not a lawyer myself, but from past experience its like this:

the Company pays you for the ideas/the time, so while you develop it in your worktime with their equipment/their programs (like visual Studio), they own the code.

for mixed scenarios i guess ist propably a legal minefield, so I guess the best approach would be to talk to your boss and see if you can come to an arrangement both sides are happy with

Thursday, October 22, 2015 3:37 PM
    Answerer