Autolock old threads RRS feed

All replies

• More of a year from last post, I have some threads that are old and havent been replied to in a while (see favorite thread link) but I would like people to still reply on them.
    Hey there! Please reply back promptly so we can answer your problem faster!

JoelbX's favorite threads | Skydrive | Cool 'gadget' programs: Visit websites
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:07 PM
  • I agree that after some period of time with no activity, the thread should be locked.  At a minimum, they should lock all of the threads for pre-release products once the final version is available to consumers.

I think 2 months is more than enough time for the question threads to stay open.  Perhaps discussion threads should be allowed to stay open longer.

I think this would be a good time for the forum moderators to properly mark posts as answers if there's an answer in the thread before closing it out.  And an answer that actually resolves the problem for the user...not just a long list of troubleshooting steps.

The search functionality here is not that great, so I'm surprised that people are even able to find threads that sound related to a problem they're having :)
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Information technology improves and changes fast. But there still are people who maintain old legacy systems. And some topics never go old. Two months is too short time for some tricky question that loom in the back until someone kindly answers it maybe the next year or the year after that. And what if someone wants to improve an answer or update it? Can't because thread is locked.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 7:59 PM
  • "I saw few threads getting bumped after a long time.. its kinda irritating.."

Why is it irritating?

Even the old threads are new to someone who is new to a forum.

"The search functionality here is not that great, so I'm surprised that people are even able to find threads that sound related to a problem they're having :)"

If I find someone interesting, I try to read their posts.

If I think I can add something, I attempt to make a thoughtful response.

To me, any attempt at a thoughtful response, whether it is positive, negative or indifferent, shows a sign of respect. If someone takes the time to find my old posts, and read them, and think about them, and respond to them... Well, that's just wishful thinking. But if it did happen, I wouldn't be irritated. Specially when the "search functionality here is not that great."

Francis

Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:08 PM

• Here's a thread that's been running since March 2007:  Cannot shrink partition in Vista!  It originated with Vista.  It continues to be an open issue with Win7.

Here's one that's been running since July 2008:  Why does SearchFilterHost.exe frequently try to access Internet?

There are others.

It's ok, Carey.  You can delete this one too.  You've deleted so many other posts of mine tonight.

Monday, November 23, 2009 8:32 AM
  • Why is it irritating?

Even the old threads are new to someone who is new to a forum.

First of all I said, 2 months as in 2 months after last reply. If its a question, replying 2 months after the last post in that question isnt sensible. Do you think the same guy will be facing same problem for 2 months ? He'll reply atleast once if problem isnt solved. If he doesnt reply back then it means either problem was solved or he got some alternative.
    Also, if someone else is facing the same problem and S/He didnt get answer in that old thread, he might reply to same thread. but actually, S/He's supposed to make a new thread for Her/His question. Then only S/He can mark answers, otherwise moderator will have to do that job.
    and if this new question is bit different, discussion will be diverted and confusing for others who will come to that thread later [from Bing,google etc..].

In case of discussions, they can remain open life long. No issues.

Thanks

My BlogMy FacebookYOUR Place to have fun time ! Awesome RPG Action Game
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:23 PM