none
Blank error message from time to time RRS feed

• Question

• Occasionally I get a blank error message and can not submit my message (say, I had this problem few seconds ago). Retrying usually doesn't help, I have to go out of the thread and then go back. The little popup message does not contain any text. It does have the title 'The page says...' but no text. 
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Strange, it'd be great to get a fiddler trace on this if at all possible. We did have an update that went out today, there were more bumps than expected along the way. If we can get more info, we can dig deeper into this.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:04 AM
    Answerer
  • Next time it happens I'll check with fiddler.

My blog
    Friday, April 15, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Occasionally I get a blank error message and can not submit my message (say, I had this problem few seconds ago). Retrying usually doesn't help, I have to go out of the thread and then go back. The little popup message does not contain any text. It does have the title 'The page says...' but no text. 

Using which browser?   If it's IE you could also use its Developer Tools Find tool to see if there is something in the source which is not being rendered which would be a useful clue.  If it's IE9 you would now have more diagnostics available in it, including an alternative to installing and using Fiddler.

BTW when I have had these symptoms the buttons are disabled, so there is no "retry".   What exactly are you seeing left in the UI after this message occurs?  Also, in that case what I do is open the thread in a new window.  Sometimes in that case my reply is already there.   In any case fortunately my reply is always recoverable via Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c before killing the reply tab.   FWIW I can't remember when this last happened to me.  I would be pretty sure it was before the last reported fix for this an other problems with Submit.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:38 PM
  • I'm using Google Chrome. I first need to close this little popup and then I have the buttons enabled, but pressing them again results in this same popup. I had this error yesterday, but it was short before forums stopped working correctly, so it may be related.

I know I can save the content and re-try, also, if I already posted code, I have to go to HTML mode and save that code. Then I have to close the thread and re-open and re-try - and it all takes time.

My blog
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I just got the same behavior again when I was trying to propose an answer in this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/e9da3d36-c469-4731-b135-3edeafcb2d86 (it worked, but I originally got this blank popup). I wanted to grab the info with the fiddler, but got a message from it that there is a new version available and I had to click on the OK button on this popup to go ahead with the downloads.

So, I'll try fiddler next time it happens.

My blog
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:12 AM
  • I'm using Google Chrome.

GC has a View source too.

---

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Got the error again and then again when I tried to post the HTML code. The error happened because another user was trying to post in the exact same time.

My blog
    Friday, May 6, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Got the error again and then again when I tried to post the HTML code. The error happened because another user was trying to post in the exact same time.

My blog

I believe this bug is already on the backlog.
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:52 AM
    Owner
  • Yes, hopefully it will be fixed eventually as it still happens quite often.

My blog
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 12:26 AM