Remote Desktop Connections Through Firewalls RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, WHS Community. I've been lurking around for a bit and found solutions to a few issues I was having with my server, but I'm having a new one now that has me stumped. I think it has to do with the firewall at my workplace, but I'm hoping to get confirmation through some consultation with you folks.

First, some relevant details: I'm running WHS 2011 on my home network. Ports 80, 443, and 4125 are forwarded on the firewall to the server.

From work, I can log in to the server and access file shares. Also from work, I can Remote Desktop to a Windows XP client on my home network.

However, I can't Remote Desktop to a Windows 7 Ultimate client ("An error occurred while sending data to the Remote Desktop Gateway server. The server is temporarily unavailable or a network connection is down. Try again later, or contact your network administrator for assistance."), nor can I get to the Dashboard ("Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to. Contact your network administrator for assistance.").

If I connect from a less-restricted Internet location, it all works. This leads me to believe that:

1. There is something different about the RDP sessions to Windows XP as to Windows 7, and
    2. My workplace firewall is detecting that difference.

Furthermore, before I set up WHS 2011 I had an evaluation of WHSv1 on the server, and was able to RDP to the Windows 7 client from my workplace.

If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dale

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:08 PM

Answers

• I plugged away at this some more, including re-installing WHS 2011, but I eventually tracked this down to a couple of things.

My workplace computer is running Windows XP SP3 and needed the CredSSP service enabled. My tests from "a less-restricted Internet location" were from a Windows 7 system, which is why I didn't have the issue connecting from there.

I also had / have issues with the server resolving computer names when I have the server set to use DHCP. If I manually set the IP address, the issues disappear. I think it has something to do with suffixes. I wouldn't mind getting that sorted out (particularly in my head).

I also know now that I don't need port 4125 for WHS 2011, thanks to another post in these forums. In any case, I was this close to going back to WHSv1, but now that it's all working I don't.

• Marked as answer by Dale Start Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:43 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:53 PM