Dual NICs - Possible one for WHS external [internet] in / out - one for WHS internal [intranet] in / out RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone created or tried this setup? My reasoning is that someone could be accessing the WHS from outside the home network, and be causing too much traffic if several people are streaming music and or video on the internal network.

I guess I am asking if WHS can be configured to use one VLAN as the external traffic and one VLAN as the internal traffic.

Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:30 PM

All replies

• Has anyone created or tried this setup? My reasoning is that someone could be accessing the WHS from outside the home network, and be causing too much traffic if several people are streaming music and or video on the internal network.

I guess I am asking if WHS can be configured to use one VLAN as the external traffic and one VLAN as the internal traffic.

Thanks for your help.

Using 2 NICs on WHS is unsupported.  Besides, connecting from outside your LAN is going to be a lot slower than inside your LAN anyway so I don't think you would have a problem.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Simple answer: no.

Windows Home Server is not designed to work in a multi-homed configuration, and you don't have much control over which network interface it will choose as the one it uses. So a single NIC is enough. Now NIC teaming, if done in hardware (or anyway at a level below Windows Home Server) can increase your server's bandwidth, though no single connection will be able to use 100% of the bandwidth. Teaming is also unsupported, of course. Microsoft's design philosophy for Windows Home Server is for it to be simple and easy for the non-technical user to configure. NIC teaming is not a simple concept, and it's not usually easy to configure.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 6:45 PM