How to Forward 2 Ports using 80 to 2 different computers? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of devices that use port 80. The devices do not let me change the Port. Is their a way in IIS Manager to give it a Name instead of the port number.

EXAMPLE: HTTP://MYSERVERNAME.COM/NAMEOFDEVICE

Basically to forward the Name of Device to another computer on the network. Can my D-Link DIR-855 Router do such a thing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 3:14 PM

All replies

• For consumer routers, you don't. For most SOHO routers, likewise. To forward port 80 to two different devices depending on domain name (or other criteria) you need a reverse proxy server, which is not part of Windows Home Server (or a home or SOHO network for that matter).

You can achieve something similar if your router supports it (please consult your router's manuals, or the manufacturer's technical support) by forwarding a different port to one device on port 80. Your router will have to be able to map a port for both incoming and outgoing packets, however, and again most consumer routers don't do this. There are also usability consequences to doing this: your users will need to remember that for this device, they don't need a port, while for that one, they do.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

I just wish that some of the devices would let you change the port #.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Changing the port number is something that a lot of people think would be a simple solution. Unfortunately, your users will find it hard to remember, and will complain about the need.

Personally, I sort of expect that we're going to see some simple reverse proxy servers built into consumer routers at some point. Every "server" (CCTV systems, Windows Home Server, remotely accessible NAS devices, etc.) assumes that it's the only device on the network that needs to be accessible from the web. This is starting to become a problem for more and more people. There are some installable reverse proxy servers (including some that are open source, I believe) but I haven't used them so I don't know how reliable they are, how well the perform, etc.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 9, 2010 12:36 AM