New Motherboard Upgrade? RRS feed

• Question

• I finally got my WHS up and running and a week after that my motherboard died.  My question is if there is anything I can do to save all of my backups and shares?  I'm most likely going to get a different model motherboard (different manufacturer as well).  If and when I boot into WHS, what will happen and will I be able to save my data?  Is there a standard process for this type of situation?

Thanks for any help.

Doug

Monday, February 9, 2009 4:13 AM

Answers

• drohm said:

I finally got my WHS up and running and a week after that my motherboard died.  My question is if there is anything I can do to save all of my backups and shares?  I'm most likely going to get a different model motherboard (different manufacturer as well).  If and when I boot into WHS, what will happen and will I be able to save my data?  Is there a standard process for this type of situation?

Thanks for any help.

Doug

The standard procedure is to boot from the DVD and select Server Reinstallation.  As long as you have the primary drive connected to port 0 on the mobo and the rest of the drives are visible to WHS, you should get that option.  If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option, don't go any further and post back here.  (The other option, New Installation, will format all of your hard drives).

Also, please note that when a mobo fails, you are only allowed to replace it with a replacement that is either A) the same model or B) the same manufacturer's equivalent of what failed.  Technically, MS can tell you that you need to buy a second license (since you aren't following the license agreement with regards to replacing a failed mobo).  I'm not saying they will do that, just that they can.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 9, 2009 6:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by drohm Monday, February 9, 2009 3:27 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:53 AM

All replies

• drohm said:

I finally got my WHS up and running and a week after that my motherboard died.  My question is if there is anything I can do to save all of my backups and shares?  I'm most likely going to get a different model motherboard (different manufacturer as well).  If and when I boot into WHS, what will happen and will I be able to save my data?  Is there a standard process for this type of situation?

Thanks for any help.

Doug

The standard procedure is to boot from the DVD and select Server Reinstallation.  As long as you have the primary drive connected to port 0 on the mobo and the rest of the drives are visible to WHS, you should get that option.  If you don't get Server Reinstallation as an option, don't go any further and post back here.  (The other option, New Installation, will format all of your hard drives).

Also, please note that when a mobo fails, you are only allowed to replace it with a replacement that is either A) the same model or B) the same manufacturer's equivalent of what failed.  Technically, MS can tell you that you need to buy a second license (since you aren't following the license agreement with regards to replacing a failed mobo).  I'm not saying they will do that, just that they can.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, February 9, 2009 6:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by drohm Monday, February 9, 2009 3:27 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Thanks for the info kariya21.  I'll be sure not to go any further if I don't get the "Server Reinstallation" option.  One other question for you though...say I get the Server Reinstallation option, I reinstall and get back up and running.  Would it be wise for me to reformat the machine and do a clean installation again?  I just don't want to have the OS get corrupted or messed up down the road because of this.  Say I want to do a complete reinstall from scratch, can you save the backups if you do that?

I'm going to use a different board, but same manufacturer.  Since they don't make the model I was using anymore I'm getting the closest model to what I was using.  Hopefully that won't cause any issues.

Doug

Monday, February 9, 2009 3:25 PM
  • drohm said:

Thanks for the info kariya21.  I'll be sure not to go any further if I don't get the "Server Reinstallation" option.  One other question for you though...say I get the Server Reinstallation option, I reinstall and get back up and running.  Would it be wise for me to reformat the machine and do a clean installation again?

No.  Server Reinstallation is exactly the same as a New Installation in terms of the OS.  The only difference between the 2 is Server Reinstallation leaves the rest of the data in tact, while New Installation wipes everything.

drohm said:

I just don't want to have the OS get corrupted or messed up down the road because of this.  Say I want to do a complete reinstall from scratch, can you save the backups if you do that?

Yes, it can be done, either by following the directions in the Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore or by using an add-in for WHS called Backup Database-Backup (BDBB).  However, normally you shouldn't need to backup your backups anyway (just go to each PC and run a new backup).  Using WHS to archive backups is not the best solution (because 1 bad block on any portion of any drive where the backup database is stored can and probably will ruin the entire backup database).

drohm said:

I'm going to use a different board, but same manufacturer.  Since they don't make the model I was using anymore I'm getting the closest model to what I was using.  Hopefully that won't cause any issues.

Doug

I seriously doubt you will have any problems with re-activation.  I just wanted to make sure you understood that it is within their right not to activate your license again if your mobo is too different (and since it's not, I wouldn't worry about it).
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:39 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Yes, it can be done, either by following the directions in the Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore or by using an add-in for WHS called Backup Database-Backup (BDBB).  However, normally you shouldn't need to backup your backups anyway (just go to each PC and run a new backup).  Using WHS to archive backups is not the best solution (because 1 bad block on any portion of any drive where the backup database is stored can and probably will ruin the entire backup database).

I agree, using the WHS as a place to backup your backups isn't great.  I wish MS would add an option to backup a specific backup to DVD (burner).  That would be a great way to take a snapshot backup and archive it off the WHS box.  Just a thought/wish of mine.  Other than that I love WHS.

Thanks for the great info and I'll post back with the results as soon as I get my new board.

Monday, February 9, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Kariya21,
    I'm not getting the 'Server Reinstallation' option.  What do I need to do to get that?  When I booted off the DVD, it launched setup but when to the normal setup.  It never gave me the option to do the Server Reinstallation.

Doug

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:00 AM
  • drohm said:

Kariya21,
    I'm not getting the 'Server Reinstallation' option.  What do I need to do to get that?  When I booted off the DVD, it launched setup but when to the normal setup.  It never gave me the option to do the Server Reinstallation.

Doug

Just to confirm:  the only option you received was New Installation in the drop-down menu?  If so, did you see all of the hard drives in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen?
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Kariya21,
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I booted off the DVD again and went a little further in the install and eventually did see the 'Server Reinstallation' option.  The first time I booted off the DVD I was expecting to see it a lot sooner.  I'm officially back up and running, with all my backups and shares intact!  Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Doug

Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:54 AM