UPS for server- Cyberpower RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at the folling UPS for my server.

http://www.staples.com/CyberPower-CP825AVRG-AVR-Series-UPS/product_417647

Seems to be the best for the price. I already returned 2 APC UPS's for failures within one day. Does anyone know if the PowerPanel software is compatable? Also, when I had the APC units hooked up the server knew it had a battery backup. Does this version of Windows have a built-in function that will shut down the server at a low battery level?

Thanks for your advice.

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:06 PM

Answers

• Yes. Look under Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan, Advanced.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by jshoemaker21 Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:15 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:13 PM

All replies

• I use APC UPSs on all my PCs including two WHS 2011 Servers without problem. The APC PowerChute software works on WHS2011 but does not integrate with the Dashboard and is not supported. Also check out the WHS 2011 version of GridJunction (currently in Beta) which works with my APC unit and likely to do so with the CyberPower.

Of course WHS has power management like W7 (not accessible from the Dashboard) so actually you don't need any other software.

Do you really need a 450W device for your server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:31 PM
  • I deal with large servers and UPS's all the time. But the Back UPS 1000 is a joke. I had two and hardware failure within a day. I'm not trying them again. Yes I want at least 400W. When the power goes down it goes down. So basically the builtin feature will shuit it down for me if the software does not work.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Yes. Look under Control Panel, Power Options, Change Plan, Advanced.
    • Marked as answer by jshoemaker21 Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:15 PM
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:13 PM
  • That's what I thought. I'm just kind of afraid to mess with some things in WHS because the first one didn't like to be changed much.

Thanks!

James A+, Network+, MCP
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:14 PM
  • You should be fairly safe doing that!!
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:22 PM
  • There is no UPS service in Windows Server 2008 R2, so some of the management has changed. As long as you can connect the UPS to your server and your server sees it as a battery, you can manage it just like any other device with a battery (i.e. a laptop).

Assuming your server does see the UPS, I would set power options up so that your server hibernates as soon as it switches over to battery; an 825 VA UPS will probably only run it for a few minutes anyway, and all you really care about is an orderly shutdown, not extended runtime while the power is out. (This is how I have my home server configured.)

I would, however, look around for a better UPS device, preferably something in an online UPS. (The voltage sag when an offline or cheap line interactive UPS switches to battery can cause damage to sensitive electronics.) 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:29 PM