Two WHS on one network. RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use two Windows Home Server on the same network? If so, can I get one unit to do backups and the second unit to handle TV recordings (using TV Archive feature)?
    • Moved by Whosane002 Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:38 PM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:29 AM

Answers

• lol. I generally answer the question people ask, assuming they have a reason for asking about this instead of that . To answer the question behind the question, you can't. Backup and moving recorded TV are both functions handled by the connector software, and will work with the same server. You could perhaps find or create a tool which would move fiels from one server to the other on a regular basis (say a robocopy scheduled task).

And the question is "What is six times nine?"

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:46 PM

All replies

• You can only join a home computer with a single server, and the functionality provided through the connector software (backups, archiving, etc.) will only work with the server the computer is joined to.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, December 14, 2009 4:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Boii5 Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:26 PM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 4:06 AM
  • "The answer is 42." (An inside joke.)

What I needed to do was ask the proper question:

HOW can I use two Windows Home Server units on the same network? HOW can I get one WHS unit to handle backup, media shares, and shared folders; while a second WHS unit singlehandedly manages TV streaming as well as moving recorded television shows from every Recorded TV folder on the network?

Thanks!
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:34 PM
  • lol. I generally answer the question people ask, assuming they have a reason for asking about this instead of that . To answer the question behind the question, you can't. Backup and moving recorded TV are both functions handled by the connector software, and will work with the same server. You could perhaps find or create a tool which would move fiels from one server to the other on a regular basis (say a robocopy scheduled task).

And the question is "What is six times nine?"

Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:46 PM
  • The answer is "kinda".

I set up a second server (a rackmount) with a trial copy of WHS. You're right about the Console application. Maybe some future version can provide access to multiple servers. However, once I gave each server a particular purpose the two-headed network worked harmoniously.

Check it out! Server1 was accessed on all PC via the Console app. It handled backups, personal account folders, and Recorded TV. The Shared Folders icon on every PC pointed to Server1. The WHS Power Pack 3's "TV Archive" feature also pointed to this server.

Now, Server2 had the job of media sharing. Pictures, Videos, and Music folders were kept here and all accounts sans one had read-only access to these. (If so tempted no one would be able to delete that song someone else loves.) I mapped the media folders on every PC so there was a seamless connection for Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.

Both servers got along. Server1 sharing and protecting people's data while Server2 provided everyone with entertainment. Like the boring parent and a fun parent, respectively.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:32 AM
  • Check it out! Server1 was accessed on all PC via the Console app. It handled backups, personal account folders, and Recorded TV. The Shared Folders icon on every PC pointed to Server1. The WHS Power Pack 3's "TV Archive" feature also pointed to this server.

Now, Server2 had the job of media sharing. Pictures, Videos, and Music folders were kept here and all accounts sans one had read-only access to these. (If so tempted no one would be able to delete that song someone else loves.) I mapped the media folders on every PC so there was a seamless connection for Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.

Both servers got along. Server1 sharing and protecting people's data while Server2 provided everyone with entertainment. Like the boring parent and a fun parent, respectively.
    I'm unclear how that works. Did you simply manually map drives on all PCs, for every user ID? Is any management of media folders automated? If not, how does that differ from the media server just being a box running any version of Windows?
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:54 PM
  • The Console app on every PC was tied to the first WHS unit. Whenever you called it up it would show you all the services for server one.

Since the Console app cannot address two servers simultaneously the second server had to be called up using Remote Desktop Connection. Using RDC, server two gave you a desktop view of WHS. However, server two's Console app was still accessible on the desktop view. A regular Console just like on any networked PC. The user is just not able to get to that second Console from a PC because of the "one server at a time" constraint. Within RDC, I called up server two's Console and had access to all of the familiar features (share folders, accounts, backups, etc.)

The only way the two server can interfere with each other's operations would be via Power Pack 3's TV Archive feature. Since TV Archive moves recordings from Media Center PCs, one server would not have a file to move because the other server has already done so. Aside from that, two WHS units can work on the same network.

If Microsoft adds a feature that allows users to choose between servers, RDC would not be necessary.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:13 AM
  • There is a way to create a shortcut to a second WHS on your network - just create a RDP config file for a borderless RDP application.  Step by step info in this blog post from early 2008: http://ihatelinux.blogspot.com/2008/01/whs-dev-tip-15-terminal-services.html (just don't bother with the stuff after the warning :) )
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:21 AM