You must activeate Windows to log on RRS feed

• Question

• A friend of mine bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 (brandnew from QVC so it should have a valid windows license) about this time last yr with Vista 32 bit HP loaded on it, about 3 days ago she got a pop up saying she needed to activate windows in order to keep using it, she followed the steps and it comes up with a popup that says "Activation successful", when you click "close" on that window another pops up and says "read title" when you view the details it says "The Software Licensing Service reported that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found."

I have no option to boot with reduced functionality or have no idea what do after this point. if I hit "close" it logs me off and puts me back at the login screen to start the whole process over.

I can boot into safe mode but the option to activate say that I need to boot into regular mode.

as of right now I'm stuck any help would be great appreciated, I hope I don't have to reload windows.

thanks
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hello dave2421,

If you are given an option to "Learn More Online" that will open a Browser (or any option that will open a browser) then follow the below information.  If you have no access to a browser or the Start button, in Normal mode, you can attempt the below information in Safe Mode, but I have not confirmed it will work in that mode.

Otherwise the only other suggestions I can provide is to either contact Vista support at http://www.support.microsoft.com or reinstall Vista.

---------------------------------

I believe Vista's Licensing Store is corrupt or is unreadable for some reason.
    Would you try the following to recreate the Store:

1) Open an Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You will likely be asked to enter a Product Key. Use th one found on the sticker on the side or bottom of the computer

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• 1 more the Code # is 0xC004F012

if that heps

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hello dave2421,

If you are given an option to "Learn More Online" that will open a Browser (or any option that will open a browser) then follow the below information.  If you have no access to a browser or the Start button, in Normal mode, you can attempt the below information in Safe Mode, but I have not confirmed it will work in that mode.

Otherwise the only other suggestions I can provide is to either contact Vista support at http://www.support.microsoft.com or reinstall Vista.

I believe Vista's Licensing Store is corrupt or is unreadable for some reason.
    Would you try the following to recreate the Store:

1) Open an Internet Browser

2) Type %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.

3) Find the file CMD.exe

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

8) Type: cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You will likely be asked to enter a Product Key. Use th one found on the sticker on the side or bottom of the computer

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Darin,

Thanks for the reply.

looks like it's gonna be a reimage, i can't even boot into safe mode and when I boot normal and click "learn more" my internet window opens then shuts down not giving me enough time to do any of these steps.

thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it.

Dave
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:53 AM