Why doesn't Connector Upgrade remember my settings????? RRS feed

• Question

• OK, Why is it, that VERY TIME I install the latest WHS Connector Upgrades, I have to RE-ENTER EVERYTHING????? 

- I've entered my WHS Password a hundred times -- WHY CAN'T IT REMEMBER IT????  This ain't Fort Knox!

- NO -- I STILL Don't want the computer backed up when it's off.

Very, very annoying.  Fact is, why does it need me AT ALL??? Why can't it simply just UPDATE itself and quit sapping MY TIME, as if I have the time every 2 weeks to do such a stupid upgrade.

WHS is absolutely the best piece of software MS has ever produced.  And then they (in typical fashion) do something so ridiculously stupid like make this Connector Upgrade so very, very lame.  AAAaaarrrrgh!!!

TV
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:57 PM

All replies

• TV said:

OK, Why is it, that VERY TIME I install the latest WHS Connector Upgrades, I have to RE-ENTER EVERYTHING????? 

- I've entered my WHS Password a hundred times -- WHY CAN'T IT REMEMBER IT????  This ain't Fort Knox!

- NO -- I STILL Don't want the computer backed up when it's off.

Very, very annoying.  Fact is, why does it need me AT ALL??? Why can't it simply just UPDATE itself and quit sapping MY TIME, as if I have the time every 2 weeks to do such a stupid upgrade.

WHS is absolutely the best piece of software MS has ever produced.  And then they (in typical fashion) do something so ridiculously stupid like make this Connector Upgrade so very, very lame.  AAAaaarrrrgh!!!

TV

You should post a suggestion for that feature on Connect.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:16 AM
  • I wonder if its just to reauthenticate and confirm what you want to do (and allow you change such setting).. and that the console probably doesn't actually store the admin password. That would be a little security issue if they did.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Hi,
    there is a function which automatically updates the connector (you have to toggle this during installation).
    In this case you should not be asked for anything.
    Since I experienced this as well, I got the impression, if there is a OEM subfolder in the Home Server Connector Software folder, this can block the automated upgrade without user interception.
    So you can try to move that OEM folder (if it exists) to another place and check, if the connector updates happen automatically now (if you selected so during the installation.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:00 AM