Genuine Advantage; Will I lose my music and data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

My pc has just informed me that my Windows XP is not genuine! I was unaware of this when the "man" installed it.

I wish to buy the Genuine Advantage but I am worried I will lose all my data, pictures etc.. especially all my music on Windows Media Player. I tried to install the latest version of media player and that is when I realised I do not have  genuine XP.

It now won't let me go into my media player at all and I am concerned I may have lost it already.

I do want to do this online today, so if some kind soul can tell me if this is ok. Is it just a case of ordering online then installing it? I think I have to have a special key number or something too.

Fingers crossed, I can keep all my data I need for my business.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Jennifer

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:11 PM

Answers

• 18clyde,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

By the way, business data that is not backed up is already lost---you are just waiting for a disaster (hard disk crash, theft, etc) to make it official.

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your  reply.

Step 1,   I did go to the link and click COPY but when I go back to this page nothing happens when I  right click for PASTE ??????

Step 2, 

1.  It is Windows XP Professional.

2.  There seems to be no OEM.

3.  It is Dell.

4.  There does seem to be a product key on the side of the machine but it differs from that on screen at the link you gave me.

5. The COA on the outside of the machine is;

X0621567.

Not sure if that's any help.

I now have backed up most of my data, however, I am unable to go back to my media player as it has installed Media Player 11 but won't allow me access to it as it is not validated! Is it lost forever?

The guy who set this up for me assured me that this was genuine!

Jennifer

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Jennifer,

Open notepad and paste there. Please have the post minimized.  Next come to this post and copy from the notpad to this post. Then we can go from there :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:12 PM
  • 18clyde,

The right click context menu does not work to paste into the message typing area.  Use the message toolbar icons for cut copy and paste.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:15 PM
  • HI,

Many thanks for your assistance, my whiz kid nephew has just arrived and says he is on the case!

I think I'll let him sort it out!

You might be hearing from him too!

Jennifer

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Jennifer,

If you need more assistance we will be here to assist.  Take care

STephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 16, 2007 8:36 PM

All replies

• 18clyde,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

By the way, business data that is not backed up is already lost---you are just waiting for a disaster (hard disk crash, theft, etc) to make it official.

Monday, July 16, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your  reply.

Step 1,   I did go to the link and click COPY but when I go back to this page nothing happens when I  right click for PASTE ??????

Step 2, 

1.  It is Windows XP Professional.

2.  There seems to be no OEM.

3.  It is Dell.

4.  There does seem to be a product key on the side of the machine but it differs from that on screen at the link you gave me.

5. The COA on the outside of the machine is;

X0621567.

Not sure if that's any help.

I now have backed up most of my data, however, I am unable to go back to my media player as it has installed Media Player 11 but won't allow me access to it as it is not validated! Is it lost forever?

The guy who set this up for me assured me that this was genuine!

Jennifer

Monday, July 16, 2007 6:47 PM
  • Jennifer,

Open notepad and paste there. Please have the post minimized.  Next come to this post and copy from the notpad to this post. Then we can go from there :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:12 PM
  • 18clyde,

The right click context menu does not work to paste into the message typing area.  Use the message toolbar icons for cut copy and paste.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:15 PM
  • HI,

Many thanks for your assistance, my whiz kid nephew has just arrived and says he is on the case!

I think I'll let him sort it out!

You might be hearing from him too!

Jennifer

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Jennifer,

If you need more assistance we will be here to assist.  Take care

STephen Holm, MS

Monday, July 16, 2007 8:36 PM