WHS 2011 release date? RRS feed

• Question

• My beta license is set to expire tommorow, all my data is backed up but I've searched and I can't seem to find any information on even a ballpark figure on when it will go retail.  If it is soon I can find something else to use short term but it would be nice to know if I should go out and purchase something that will fit my needs if it is going to be awhile.  Any clue if it will be released within the next few weeks?
    Monday, March 14, 2011 9:36 PM

All replies

• You must still be on the beta pre Release candidate.  If you are still using the vail that has DE, that you applied the SP1 fix too, this is you issue.  The current build, WHS 2011 RC, does not expire anytime soon that I know of.  If i'm wrong, someone please correct me, because I missed something.
    D.W.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Don't worry. WHS 2011 Release Candidate will  be functional until at least June 30.

Quoting MS Connect:
    "Please note use of this build:  This build is for evaluation purposes only.  You should not install this in a production or regular home environment. Microsoft does not license you for, nor support installing in these environments. Your license to preview this product expires June 30, 2011 or commercial release of the software, whichever occurs first.  The software has an internal expiration to stop functioning on  Aug 1 2011.  We will remove the Connect offering for this release upon commercial release of the software."

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Dirk,

Make sure to copy off any imported data (it's beta, so it should not be there at the first place ;-) from your VAIL installation before it expires.
    Neighter WHS 2001 Release Candidate or the final RTM version of Windows Home Server 2011 will be able to read your data disks.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:18 PM
  • I came across an RTM date of 30th March. The sister product, Small Business server 2011 Essentials (Aurora) has already been release so I think the date is probably right.What ever version we are using, a fresh install will be needed when the final version is released so make sure you can back up any data you have stored.

I am only using a test server so have nothing to backup for a new server. I have tried WHS and am using Fedora with Amahi at present - a Linux based free alternative to WHS. It has a drive extender addition and seem sot work quite well but some knowledge of Linux, whilst not need to set up the server will be useful, though, so the learning curve will be higher than WHS. I will decide whether to go with WHS when I see the price.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 11:02 AM