Case Resolution entity Customization RRS feed

• Question

• thanks for all the input you guys gave. it worked. also can the case resolution entity form be customized. because i tried and every thing seems greyed out

System integrator

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hoskinator is right, that form cannot be customized.  I ran into this early on with a CRM 4.0 deployment for the support team that primarily uses CRM for cases.

My approach was to hide the resolve case button with Javascript, and setup a custom attribute called 'stage'.  To close a case, the user has to set the stage to 'closed'.  Then a workflow would actually set the status of the case to 'resolved'.

In 2011 you could do something similar, but instead have a new process 'dialog' where you can capture the data required to close the case. 

• Marked as answer by youngceaser Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:12 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:57 PM
  • If I understand your question, the set you want is the IncidentSet.  Cases are actually called 'incidents' in the SDK, and I believe in the OData feed too.
    • Marked as answer by youngceaser Monday, May 7, 2012 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:47 PM

All replies

• the reason it's greyed out is because you cannot customize the case resolution form.  

This I can imagine isn't the news you wanted to hear.

To get round this problem, I would recommend you customize the Case form and add a new section with details you want people to fill in on a case form.

You can use Javascript to hide/unhide this section when someone presses the Resolve case button. 

I have handily written a blog about how to do this (Hazaar)

http://crmbusiness.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/crm-2011-adding-validation-to-the-resolve-case-button/ 

if you want to change the resolution types you can do this by changing the Status reason on the case (actually incident) resolved status. I also have a blog on that

http://crmbusiness.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/crm-2011-how-to-addchange-resolution-types-for-cases/ 

I hope that helps you

Ben Hosking
    Check out my CRM Blog
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hoskinator is right, that form cannot be customized.  I ran into this early on with a CRM 4.0 deployment for the support team that primarily uses CRM for cases.

My approach was to hide the resolve case button with Javascript, and setup a custom attribute called 'stage'.  To close a case, the user has to set the stage to 'closed'.  Then a workflow would actually set the status of the case to 'resolved'.

In 2011 you could do something similar, but instead have a new process 'dialog' where you can capture the data required to close the case. 

• Marked as answer by youngceaser Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:12 AM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:57 PM
  • thanks chris i will try out your suggestion

Also im trying to write a script to autopopulate certain fields on the case form based on the look-up value.i got it working when i tried it with the Account Entity but i cant seem to get the proper SET(Collection) for the case entity.i only see ServiceSet.is that the collection i should be using?

System integrator

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Can you post some sample code?
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:17 AM
  • i have the case form autopopulating data from the Accounts entity.that bit is fine.what i want to know is how to see the case collection fron the OData feed. example of what i mean is this.if i want to query my Accounts information from the OData feed i use this <a href="/XrmServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc/AccountSet">URL:<organizationURL>/XrmServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc/AccountSet.    what set do i use if i want to query for the case entity

System integrator

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:31 PM
  • If I understand your question, the set you want is the IncidentSet.  Cases are actually called 'incidents' in the SDK, and I believe in the OData feed too.
    • Marked as answer by youngceaser Monday, May 7, 2012 8:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hi Chris Your Suggestion is super.Thanks i want to  hide the case resolution default button and createa a new button with a javascript function that will open up a custom from entity on the crm for the case resolution details to be filled.This form will be related to the incident entity so that users on clicking the navigation tab will see the case resolution details of that case. my issue is how to make my javascript function popup that custom form on the click of my resolve case button.

System integrator

Monday, May 7, 2012 8:54 AM