Import project level data only from excel into Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to import project level data only (no task, resource, or assignment data) from excel into Project Server 2010. Microsoft provides a tool to import projects, but you must provide task or resource level data also. I also have multiple spreadsheets (about 150-200) to import from Excel. Is there a process or tool I can use?

I have looked at the Import Wizard, however this is for the importing of Task, Resources and/or Assignment date. I am only importing Project level data, this is to be used in the Portfolio Analyses functions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• Edited by Miller_JR Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Indeed you need to have tasks at least to use the import wizard. Are you trying to create as many projects (in ms project) with project level data than the number of sheets in your workbook?

But let be clear: if you have 200 spreadsheets to import, it will be tedious and time consuming. Your best options would be to create a VBA macro to process jour job.

Maybe explain us more in detail your business need so we can understand better and maybe propose you a workaround.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Miller_JR Friday, September 11, 2015 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Miller_JR --

The mystery to me is this:  What type of data is in these 150-200 spreadsheets if it does not include at least task information?  As you already know, it is not possible to use the Import Wizard unless you have at least task data in those spreadsheets.  As Guillaume has indicated, if you simply need to create 150-200 new projects using some kind of data in those spreadsheets, it might be faster to create them using custom VBA code.  Or else you can create each project manually, which might actually be faster than trying to write the VBA code.  Hope this extra helps. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Miller_JR Friday, September 11, 2015 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Thanks, I am trying to create one project for each of the excel worksheets. I was think that the VBA route would be the solution. This is a one time occurrence, so I will take the tedious route and just bang them into the server.

Thanks for the quick reply and your help in this matter.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:15 PM
  • The data is only Project level, and I agree it would just be as fast to manually create each Project. As always you provide good input and information, THANKS

• Proposed as answer by ElliJ Monday, December 8, 2014 10:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed you need to have tasks at least to use the import wizard. Are you trying to create as many projects (in ms project) with project level data than the number of sheets in your workbook?

But let be clear: if you have 200 spreadsheets to import, it will be tedious and time consuming. Your best options would be to create a VBA macro to process jour job.

Maybe explain us more in detail your business need so we can understand better and maybe propose you a workaround.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Miller_JR Friday, September 11, 2015 1:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Miller_JR --

The mystery to me is this:  What type of data is in these 150-200 spreadsheets if it does not include at least task information?  As you already know, it is not possible to use the Import Wizard unless you have at least task data in those spreadsheets.  As Guillaume has indicated, if you simply need to create 150-200 new projects using some kind of data in those spreadsheets, it might be faster to create them using custom VBA code.  Or else you can create each project manually, which might actually be faster than trying to write the VBA code.  Hope this extra helps. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Thanks, I am trying to create one project for each of the excel worksheets. I was think that the VBA route would be the solution. This is a one time occurrence, so I will take the tedious route and just bang them into the server.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:15 PM
  • The data is only Project level, and I agree it would just be as fast to manually create each Project. As always you provide good input and information, THANKS

• Proposed as answer by ElliJ Monday, December 8, 2014 10:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:19 PM