CRM 2011 Production and Development on the same server with two saparate instances RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We just installed Dynamics 2011 in our organization with production and development instances on same server. Our next step is to develop some custom CRM implementation using Dynamics CRM SDK. I am bit concern here as I will going to hit production server for development purpose (even it is separate instance) and probably I also require to deploy some custom binaries on same server for development/testing/staging etc.

So my questions are:
    1. Is it standard practice to deploy production and development instance of same server for Dynamics 2011? What is your recommendation?
    2. Will there any impact on production instance if I deploy something on server for development/qa/staging? Or worst if I screwed up on development instance.

Rational to have both instances on same server is purely licensing cost. Look like we have to pay additional amount for development instance on separate server.

Thanks.

• Edited by Firoz A Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:47 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:44 PM

Answers

• Ideally you would have a production deployment of CRM that is only used for production. CRM obviously provides the ability to have multiple organizations in a single instance of CRM and in some cases depnding on your size, budget, etc, this is the only option you have. If you can seperate dev, test, prod on to seperate servers and completely independent deployments with each having its own SQL server, etc then you end up with less risk and a more robust environment to customise/develop against CRM while minimising the threat to production.

As a minimum I recommend you have a production deployment and seperate deployment that holds you multiple organization instances for dev, test, uat, etc.. This also depends on your test scenarios and how complicated you make it.

MS CRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Dynamics XRM Tools CRM 4 to CRM 2011 JavaScript Converter Tool
    CRM 2011 OData Query Designer
    CRM 2011 Metadata Browser
    CRM Forum Guidance

• Marked as answer by Firoz A Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:01 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:14 PM

All replies

• Ideally you would have a production deployment of CRM that is only used for production. CRM obviously provides the ability to have multiple organizations in a single instance of CRM and in some cases depnding on your size, budget, etc, this is the only option you have. If you can seperate dev, test, prod on to seperate servers and completely independent deployments with each having its own SQL server, etc then you end up with less risk and a more robust environment to customise/develop against CRM while minimising the threat to production.

As a minimum I recommend you have a production deployment and seperate deployment that holds you multiple organization instances for dev, test, uat, etc.. This also depends on your test scenarios and how complicated you make it.

CRM Forum Guidance

• Marked as answer by Firoz A Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:01 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thanks RhettClinton.

As developer coming from SharePoint, I too inclined towards separate instances for production and everything else (dev/qa/stage) at minimum but I am bit surprise to observe here that most vendors and partners usually recommends multiple organizations on same instance.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Production on a shared server offers loads of risk but dev/test on a shared server is probably to save costs on server licenses. Most MS Partners would have free software so aren't affected so much by cost but customers usually have to pay for everything.

CRM Forum Guidance

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:22 PM