Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• What antivirus program is compatible windows home server 2011
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• Steve, you should be able to find lots of discussion about this using Search in this forum.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:50 PM
  • That's correct, lots of discussion but formally, there are no supported AV programs for WHS2011.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:17 PM
  • I keep seeing this subject pop up and have read the threads.  Am I the only person NOT running AV on his WHS2011 server?

All machines are protected and the only activity on the server are server related functions and I have not had a problem but then everything that goes to my server passes through one of my machines first.

-- Richard Hay
    http://WindowsObserver.com
    Unofficial Microsoft and Tech Evangelist
    Host of the Observed Tech PODCAST
    Microsoft MVP Windows Expert-Consumer

"Phil Harrison" wrote in message news:529fe300-116c-4e18-9584-6b0a08e4da74...
    That's correct, lots of discussion but formally, there are no supported AV programs for WHS2011.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:19 PM
  • Richard

I don't use it and never have since originally using WHS1 - like you, all the clients which are allowed to connect to the server, either on my internal network or by remote access are fully protected (to the extent that software is able to provide).

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:31 PM
  • If you never connect (even remotely) from a computer that's not managed by you, and your network is secure by today's standards (WPA2), and you never allow guests such as friends or family to connect to your network, then you're probably fine (but that's a lot of "if's").

Security is all about layers. I sleep better knowing that I chose not to pass on the opportunity to run AV on the computer that I am trusting the most with my data.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I keep seeing this subject pop up and have read the threads.  Am I the only person NOT running AV on his WHS2011 server?

I used Avast on my V1 server. I've tried a couple of different products on my Windows Home Server 2011 server, but have nothing at present (a situation I'd like to change, if someone would jsut come out with a supported product).

That said, I agree that most users won't need an AV product on their server. Preferably you will never use the desktop on your server other than when trying to debug an issue, but if you never use IE on your server (there's really no need), never run programs from unknown sources on your server, (and are very choosy about programs you do run on your server), and don't open your server up to the world, you're pretty safe, as the server's "surface area" is relatively small and well-secured. The more stuff you install and/or do directly on your server, the more risk you're taking...

I still think everyone should have an AV product on every computer they own, however, because AV products protect against more than just viruses.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hi Guys,

Just to add to the mix, Trend Micro offer their Worry Free Business service at £67.82 for two machines per year (this can be Windows Home server 2011)( Sorry not sure what this converts to in USD)

http://www.trendmicro.com/us/small-business/product-security/worry-free-services/index.html

I've been using this on my WHS2011 for the past year and it seems to work very well. As with many of these products you can customise the number of users (hosts) and number of years you want to cover.

Hope its useful for someone :-)

Ben
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:18 PM