none
Updating UI with Background Process Status RRS feed

• Question

• Building a web page that queries a database to populate a Grid View control. The query takes about 90-120 seconds to complete. Page is set for Async (Async="true"), has a label in an Update Panel (UpdateMode = "conditional" using "UpdatePanel1.Update() in the code-behind). Have tried the following: Tasks, Threads, Background Workers, Timers. Either the thread executing the query gets lost (no "IsAlive","Running","RunWorkerCompleted", or "ProgressChanged" events fire or cause a change in the UI) or the UI doesn't respond until the task is completed.

Am using the default "Site.Master" page and using the follow system directives (using System;): Collections.Generic, Configuration, ComponentModel, Data, Data.SQLClient, Threading, Threading.Tasks, Web, Web.UI and Web.Ui.WebControls.

Help!

Friday, August 4, 2017 4:48 PM

All replies

• Building a web page that queries a database to populate a Grid View control. The query takes about 90-120 seconds to complete.

And I bet you are using dataset and datable too. And the DB code is tightly coupled to the Web page in the codebehind file.

Friday, August 4, 2017 5:12 PM
  • Hi Hamed_1983,

According to your question is more related to web form, You could post a new thread to  web form forum for suitable support

The Visual C# discuss and ask the C# programming language, IDE, libraries, samples and tools.If you have some grammar or code errors, please feel free to contact us. We will try our best to give you a solution.

Best Regards,
    Feih-7

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fei Hu Monday, August 7, 2017 7:22 AM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Wendy,

I'm so sorry to have posed this question where it doesn't belong. Would you be so kind as to let me know where it got moved to?

Monday, August 7, 2017 1:04 PM
  • Wendy,

I'm so sorry to have posed this question where it doesn't belong. Would you be so kind as to let me know where it got moved to?

https://forums.asp.net/

Monday, August 7, 2017 2:56 PM
  • Once again I find that reaching out to these resources proves to not only be disappointingly unhelpful but completely useless. Thanks for making it possible to chase my tail and not even get a succinct piece of information to direct me to the right place to find an answer or help resolve any issue I choose to post here.

Question posted August 4th. October 18th and the best I get is information that my question was posted in the wrong location, with no hint (other than a web address) as to where to find resolution suggestions or even where to find my original question.

Many Thanks Again!

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:15 PM