Product Key Update Tool for Office RRS feed

• Question

• I there a tool to update the product key for Office 2003 with a valid product key or do you have to reinstall the product?
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:11 PM

Answers

• Ringlord,

Yes. This is a frequently asked question and I have placed it as a pinned entry in our forum. 

Changing product keys for MS Office versions will require users to make changes within the registry.  Knowledge Base article 895456 located @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/895456/en-us will provide a step by step process for changing your product keys. 

*WARNING* Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. It is recommended you back up the registry prior making any changes. As added measures of caution, have all critical files backed up in case the system crashes and/or the registry could not be restored from your backup.  Modify the registry at your own risk. NOTE:  If you try to open any Office programs after you complete the steps, you receive a message that prompts you for a valid product key.  Please re-post here if you need further assistance. Have a great day!!!

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:18 PM

All replies

• Ringlord,

Yes. This is a frequently asked question and I have placed it as a pinned entry in our forum. 

Changing product keys for MS Office versions will require users to make changes within the registry.  Knowledge Base article 895456 located @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/895456/en-us will provide a step by step process for changing your product keys. 

*WARNING* Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. It is recommended you back up the registry prior making any changes. As added measures of caution, have all critical files backed up in case the system crashes and/or the registry could not be restored from your backup.  Modify the registry at your own risk. NOTE:  If you try to open any Office programs after you complete the steps, you receive a message that prompts you for a valid product key.  Please re-post here if you need further assistance. Have a great day!!!

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    OGA Forum Manager

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:18 PM
  • Hi man... yeh I've had troubles with my office validation...

I did everything as you described, but it doesn't work... I put the new key and I receive the answer that my product is not original, so when I repeat with another key the first key that I try to substitute is always there, like if I put the new key, but it didn't change.

Do you know what can be happening?

Thank you guy...

Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Hello Bernaz,

Please create a new thread and include the results of your MGA diagnostic and we will be able to further assist you.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    OGA Forum Manager

Monday, March 3, 2008 6:16 PM