Getting transaction data from certain brokerage accounts RRS feed

• Question

• I have two brokerage accounts that do not provide manual downloads of data (Chase and Dreyfus).  They only provide automatic downloads to financial software.  That used to include MSMoney, but now it is only to Quicken.  I get my stock quotes downloaded using hleOfxQuotes (thanks so much hle), but I have to enter all the transaction activity by hand.  Is there any way to get this data via a download?
    • Edited by bobjbkln Saturday, November 24, 2018 4:23 AM
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 4:22 AM

All replies

• Have they stopped all downloads?  As you probably know, Money can import QIF and QFX files if those are still available.

Bill Becker

Saturday, November 24, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Chase bank transactions can be downloaded into Money with PocketSense, but it takes some extra action. https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2018/01/07/chase-ofx-downloads/ addresses this. Moneydance and GNUcash use the same techniques for statement downloading, as does the "direct access" method of Quicken.

I don't know if this would apply to the brokerage account. I just have not seen that discussed.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 4:13 PM
  • Have they stopped all downloads?  As you probably know, Money can import QIF and QFX files if those are still available.

Bill Becker

Neither firm ever had manual downloads.  There is (and was) no way of calling for the data from the website.  Instead, IIRC, you clicked on Update Now from within Money and it went to the brokerages' server and got the information, just like it did for those accounts that also provided manual downloads.
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Thank you Cal.  I already had my Chase account set up to allow for direct access download requests, probably dating back to when the MsMoney servers were still active.  Also I manually download the Chase qfx files from my Chase bank accounts, but the brokerage accounts don't let you do this. 

I have never used PocketSense.  Does it actually go directly to the bank/brokerage servers themselves and populate all of your online bank/brokerage accounts(like Money used to) as opposed to the user having to go to each bank's website?  If that is the case, it will probably work if the brokerage account ID codes are the same as for the bank accounts (or if I can otherwise find them).  When I get a chance I'll read up on PocketSense and see if I can get it to work for me.

Sunday, November 25, 2018 3:35 AM
  • Thank you Cal.  I already had my Chase account set up to allow for direct access download requests, probably dating back to when the MsMoney servers were still active.  Also I manually download the Chase qfx files from my Chase bank accounts, but the brokerage accounts don't let you do this. 

I have never used PocketSense.  Does it actually go directly to the bank/brokerage servers themselves and populate all of your online bank/brokerage accounts(like Money used to) as opposed to the user having to go to each bank's website?  If that is the case, it will probably work if the brokerage account ID codes are the same as for the bank accounts (or if I can otherwise find them).  When I get a chance I'll read up on PocketSense and see if I can get it to work for me.

It does go to the account it works with and populates Money. It requires some setup. When you work on that, feel free to ask. I don't use Chase, but the link above gets into Chase-specific stuff. I know people get it working with the bank, and it will be interesting to see if anything else is needed for the broker, or if the broker access works at all.

Once set up, you can run a particular Python program that is part of the package to get the info. I actually put the command into a batch file. But I go one better. I have the Windows Scheduler run that batch program at maybe 5:30 am each morning. I can tell you how that works if you want to try that.

http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ is a site set up by the developer. It has the download links, instructions, and a place where you can ask questions. The blog posts tend to be higher-end. You can ask questions there or here. The link I posted farther up has more info... When you set up PocketSense, I suggest you keep notes on the process. Maybe feed back how the description could have made it go smoother for you, if there is a rough part for you.

Sunday, November 25, 2018 6:30 AM
  • Thanks Cal,When I get a chance, I'll read up on Pocket Sense.  I remember it being work to set up, so I chose to use manual downloads and hleofxquotes instead.  Look like it's time to revisit Pocket Sense.

Monday, November 26, 2018 5:16 AM