Administrator or Standard User Account for auto backup? RRS feed

• Question

• OneCare will back up my computer when I sign in as an administrator but will not do so when signed in as a standard user. I must be doing something wrong since it doesn't make sense to set up a backup plan from a hub PC and then force the user to switch to an administrator account before leaving the computer for an auto backup.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:43 PM

Answers

• You need to set the permissions for the share to allow full access to Everyone.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:17 PM

All replies

• Are you using Centralized backup on the Hub PC? What is the destination of the backup? Backup should run fine under a limited account, but I think you can't manually start a backup under a limited account.

-steve

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:10 AM
  • I am using a network share to an internal hard disk drive. I can start the backup manually on the hub PC by entering a password to an administrator's account, but the hub PC and remote PC won't start automatically.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:04 PM
  • You need to set the permissions for the share to allow full access to Everyone.

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:17 PM
  • I have done that

Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:47 PM
  • If you are needing to enter an administrator password, that would indicate to me that the permissions are not set for everyone to have full access, but I could be wrong.

You may want to contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:21 AM
  • Support have told me that both computers need to be logged onto an administrator's account. This doesn't make much sense to me but perhaps logic has little to do with it...

Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:28 PM
  • I believe that support is incorrect in their response to you. Backup can indeed run under a limited account. It needs to be configured under an administrative account, but all other OneCare functions will run under a Limited User. The destination Share needs to be available to al users, though, with *full* permissions to change and modify files.

I recommend that you contact support once again and refer to the original reply, asking for escalation if the new tech can't help you out.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:22 AM
  • I'll add, however, that in your case, using the workaround with the network share on the hub PC on an internal drive, there may be some gotchas if an administrator is not logged onto the hub when backup starts on the client. That Share is owned by the administrator, I suspect.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:24 AM
  • I have read several of your comments to this and other related issues regarding OneCare Backup running as a limited user.  You have been wrong and continue to be wrong, making this forum the opposite of helpful.  I have actually wasted more time after reading these threads.  If I hadn't found these threads I would have immediately tried it from an Administratror account to verify.

Bottomline, you MUST be logged in as an Administrator when backing up to a UNC path both for unattended and manual backups.  Plain and simple.  Why don't you go test this out before giving any more advice?

Lastly, OneCare is disappointing in this regard.  For all intents and purposes getting OneCare Backup to work requires routinely running in an administrator role versus a Limited User.  This violates the principles of UAC. 

https://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/useraccount.mspx

Moreover, OneCare Backup is the only application, Microsoft or third party, that has required me to do so.  It seems a bit ironic that the all in one Security Suite (OneCare of course) that has to be purchased from Microsoft,  requires the user to run his computer in degregated security context in order to function as designed.

Mike

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:07 PM
  •  msromike wrote:

Bottomline, you MUST be logged in as an Administrator when backing up to a UNC path both for unattended and manual backups.  Plain and simple.  Why don't you go test this out before giving any more advice?

"Plain and simple" on your system for your configuration. Backup in OneCare is, in my opinion, problematic for anything other than backing up to an external drive or CD/DVD. Your statement above is correct for a manual backup. To the best of my knowledge, a non-admin account logged on can perform a scheduled backup to certain destinations. To state that the UNC path is the limiting factor is incorrect. However, since OneCare has some serious issues in performing backup to some NAS devices, it wouldn't surprise me that other network locations are problematic as well for some scenarios.

-steve

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:08 PM
  •  

MY I HAVE PERISSION  TO USE YOUR TOOLS? 

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:48 AM
  •  carlos salinas wrote:

MY I HAVE PERISSION  TO USE YOUR TOOLS? 

Excuse me? What tools?

This forum is for Windows Live OneCare

-steve

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:15 PM
  • There are several things that OneCare requires an administrator account to do and this also frustrates me greatly!  Even after giving full permission and control to the other users, this is a problem.  For me it will run scheduled things, but will not update itself at all, which frustrates me to no end!  Microsoft really needs to fix this or develop some sort of settings within OneCare to allow updates to run without an administrator being logged in.  I found this link that describes the problem:

http://help.msn.com/(bWt0PWVuLVVTJnByb2plY3Q9YTF2MQ==)/Help.aspx?market=en-US&project=a1v1&querytype=topic&query=CONC_about_user_account_permissions.htm

We use an online back-up program that operates independently of OneCare that we have really liked and is quite affordable.  So I don't know about the back-ups specifically, but this is definitely a larger problem of the way they set up OneCare!

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Thanks for providing that link, FACMedia. It is horribly outdated, so I've reported it to the OneCare team. That is the Help text for version 1.0 of OneCare.

OneCare does not require admin rights to update. It may require admin rights to upgrade versions. And there are indeed processes in OneCare that will require admin rights, such as disabling the firewall or changing backup settings.

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for reporting that.  I'm not sure what the problem would be with our version then, because it is 2.0 and it definitely requires me to log in as an administrator about once every week or two so that it can download some sort of windows update or because the virus definitions haven't updated.  All of our other programs seem to work fine with the adminstrator/user account set-up and I have OneCare set to for full permissions.  Any other ideas why this would be?  Its quite annoying!  If it wasn't working so well on our other computers (only one of our 11 has an administrator account) I would probably choose another program.

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Steve, I've read several threads. You ARE in fact incorrect. I have had problems from day one backing up with limited user accounts. the setup is 3 comps and an external hard drive hardwired through a router/modem. (that's the most recent configuration within the last two months). I've been using ONECARE for years and no matter the configuration, and/or permission settings, onecare backup WILL NOT run unless logged in as an administrator! i have even updated a second computer to VISTA since it seems smarter to see if it will solve the problem. It didn't. I have to log in as administrator, leave the admin logged in, and switch users to allow others to use the computer.

This isn't always good because when someone prints double sided, the first side will print, but then the message to print the second side comes up on the admin login and the limited user can never complete the print job. But if i close the admin user, backup will not run.

I have had several different configurations over the years. i have tried setting permissions, etc. there is no resolve for this. this is the ONLY drawback to using ONECARE that i can find. BUT it is a BIG one!!!

Dan
    Friday, October 31, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Dan, I remain hopeful for an overhaul of backup in OneCare.

As I understand it, if you are backing up to a network share, you need to have an administrator logged on. If you are using a local USB drive, an admin needs to configure backup, but it will run without an admin being logged in. If you are using Centralized Backup, an admin must be logged in on the PC hosting the backup drive.

-steve

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:55 PM