You can see how files are duplicated between hard drives. RRS feed

All replies

• I was thinking about something similar recently.

Very very nice!

Now you just need an installer.

Any chance of adding the file size on another column?

Friday, November 2, 2007 11:24 PM
  • G'day,

I downloaded the file and followed the instructions, but the add in does not appear in my console.

I am using the Beta version of WHS

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:12 AM
  • Same with me. I'm running the OEM version. Followed instructions as per the web site, but no go.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:50 AM
  • You are installing on the home server and not on the client machine?

Saturday, November 3, 2007 4:52 PM
  •  Philip Churchill wrote:
    You are installing on the home server and not on the client machine?

Thanks for your follow-up.

And....

New version 1.0.1.0 released with 'Size' column and .msi installer.

It can be installed via WHS Console.

http://akiba.geocities.jp/duplicationinfo/

Saturday, November 3, 2007 8:11 PM
  • G'day,

I installed the new MSI package, but unfortunately I cannot see the add in. It appears in the settings/addin tab and it installed as if it installed alright. I just can't see the icon in the console. I am using the beta WHS as mentioned in an earlier post.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 3:14 AM
  •  bucket23 wrote:

G'day,

I installed the new MSI package, but unfortunately I cannot see the add in. It appears in the settings/addin tab and it installed as if it installed alright. I just can't see the icon in the console. I am using the beta WHS as mentioned in an earlier post.

Hmm....

When installed add-in throws exception while loading, tab does not apper. 

DuplicatonInfo uses undocumeted classes and interfaces.

So, in case  some assembly(dll) names differ between Beta and RTM, linkage error may occur.

Sorry, I don't have Beta WHS and cannot support it.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 4:05 AM
  • I've also now installed version 1.0.1.0 via the msi installer and while it all appears to install okay, it doesn't appear in the tabbed list of add-ons in the console.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 8:42 AM
  • Same here. Added MSI to Add-ins folder, opened console and installed add-in from list, but nothing shows up in Console after a restart or even a reboot.
    Im Using RTM WHS.........
    Monday, November 5, 2007 12:20 AM
  • Did you uninstall the original .dll first.

Monday, November 5, 2007 12:51 AM
  • Yes I did and then went standard add-ins install procedure and all appeared to install okay. Just not showing up in the console.

Monday, November 5, 2007 1:19 AM
  • Thank you for reporting bug.

Please tell me your storage configuration(hard drives, external hard drives, hard drives not joined to WHS storage, optical drives, USB sticks, etc.).

I'll try to represent your configuration and bug you reported.

Monday, November 5, 2007 4:24 AM
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Did you uninstall the original .dll first.

I did not install 1.0.0.0 at all. I waited until 1.0.1.0 came out with the msi installer as an add-in via console. .....
    Monday, November 5, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Hi amarsh, judgeschambers and others who cannot see add-in's tab.

Please try new version 1.0.1.1.

I hope bugs you found are fixed.

Monday, November 5, 2007 8:26 PM
  •  

nope...still not there
    Monday, November 5, 2007 11:09 PM
  • Thanks Yotsuba. Yes all working for me now with version 1.0.1.1.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 9:50 AM
  •  jpearl wrote:

nope...still not there

Sorry.(x_x)

New version 1.0.1.2 displays stack trace when exception raised while initializing.

Please tell me your storage configuration and displayed stack trace.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 7:55 PM
  • Yotsuba,
    Here's my trace report.  My storage setup is primary drive 500GB Seagate (WHS/Landing Zone), Storage is 2 300GB seagates.
    Thanks

== Duplication Info Error Report ==
    Version: 1.0.1.2
    Date(UTC): 11/6/2007 10:56:43 PM
    Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'qsmif, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
    File name: 'qsmif, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.ShowDuplicationInfoPanel.SetupVolumes()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.ShowDuplicationInfoPanel..ctor()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerTabExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:05 PM
  • Thanks Yotsuba. Works for me with  1.0.1.1.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 10:47 PM
  • == Duplication Info Error Report ==
    Date(UTC): 11/7/2007 2:19:42 AM
    Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'qsmif, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
    File name: 'qsmif, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.ShowDuplicationInfoPanel.SetupVolumes()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.ShowDuplicationInfoPanel..ctor()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.DuplicationInfo.HomeServerTabExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

hope this helps...i'm really excited for this add-in and hope this gets resolved!!

good luck

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 2:21 AM
  • G'day,

Trace is below,

Date(UTC): 7/11/2007 9:52:10 AM

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:56 AM
  • Thanks 66_Chevelle, jpearl and bucket23.

I guess you are all using beta WHS. right?

I'm sorry, I can't support beta WHS due to use of undocumented APIs.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I will be moving to the OEM trial copy soon. I ordered it 5 days ago, yet to recieve it Australia yet.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 9:40 PM
  • I have installed the DuplicationInfo add-in, but when I check the info for any of my file that has chinese character in the path, it will say "CreateFile() failed", so what does this error mean, does it mean the duplication fail when there are chinese characters in the path?

Thx

Charles

Sunday, November 11, 2007 6:46 AM
  • When my add-in failed to open file handle, "CreateFile() failed" message appeared. 

I think duplication is not  failed.

I also have some file contains chinese characters in filename, but it works fine.

Please tell me example path string causes problem.

Monday, November 12, 2007 3:59 AM
  •  AerisWind wrote:

I have installed the DuplicationInfo add-in, but when I check the info for any of my file that has chinese character in the path, it will say "CreateFile() failed", so what does this error mean, does it mean the duplication fail when there are chinese characters in the path?

Thx

Charles

Sorry(x_x)

I found that some non-ASCII characters caused that problem.

New version is ready to download. Please try it.

Monday, November 12, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

I just test it out and now it works great. Thanks for all the effort and time Smile

(Sorry for not trying it out till now since I was out for a long time )

Thanks

Charles

Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:07 PM
  • I get the same thing from it.

Version: 1.1.0.0
    Date(UTC): 11/23/2007 4:19:23 AM

Friday, November 23, 2007 4:27 AM
  •  amarsh wrote:

Same with me. I'm running the OEM version. Followed instructions as per the web site, but no go.

I had to download it a second time and then it worked.  Not sure why, but it worked on the second try.  This add in gives some very useful information.
    Friday, November 23, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Downloaded version 1.1.0.0 (no other version tried) and tried to install by normal procedure but this failed as the addin would not show in "Available Addins" so ran the msi direct to install - this means it does not show up as an installed addin! Using OEM version of HomeServer fully updated.

The results I am getting are surprising (and hard to believe) as all the files ( shared folders are 155Gb and all duplicated) are showing as shared between just 2 drives and I have 3 identical 500Gb drives on the server.

Are others getting similar results?

Other addins installed and working OK are:-

1)Diskeeper 2008

2)Whist

3)OnTheFlyUnzipper

4)Program Launcher

5)MS Toolkit

Monday, November 26, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Hello!
    I tried your very useful add-in.
    But having many files to be kept under control (and not trusting WHS 100% at the moment), I would ask if you can make some improvements.

The add-in should warn if a file that must be duplicated in reality it is not.
    (and, but it's far less important, if a file that must not be duplicated in reality it is)

The add-in could send a detailed email and could send an alert to the connectors.

Also, if for a period of time a number of files were not duplicated, the add-in could impose the shutdown of the server.

Thanks in advance,
    Luca.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 1:15 PM