Microsoft Code Examples using ///? RRS feed

• Question

• Perhaps this is a dumb question but I'm curious and I can't find anything on Google and none of the other coders I work with know why in all of Microsoft's code examples they use "///" ? Does it still just code out the line? It seems to run fine still. I don't get any errors. But more or less I'm just curious for my own knowledge whats up with the ///?

Thanks,

Example of what i'm talking about
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:57 PM

Answers

• Over in C# three slashes are used for commenting so that the application can become an API.  Those comments are collected by sandcastle if the compile is set to allow for code commenting.  The out put is the exact same thing you see in the class library APIs for any .NET product.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:59 PM

All replies

• Over in C# three slashes are used for commenting so that the application can become an API.  Those comments are collected by sandcastle if the compile is set to allow for code commenting.  The out put is the exact same thing you see in the class library APIs for any .NET product.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:59 PM
  • Hmm, I guess it's interesting it doesn't mess up the jscript running. But thanks for the explanation.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:04 PM