Remote Access File Transfer fizzles out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There:

I am trying to transfer a 250MB file from my home server to work.  I make it past the archive step and the transfer starts at roughly 1MBps but after a few minutes the transfer fizzles out (about 50-100 MB of the file).  Windows still reports a 250 KBps transfer rate but the file size does not change.

I can successfully ftp files from one of my home systems but I bought home server specifically for this function.  Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:54 PM

Answers

• If I remember correctly, there is a 100mb file transfer size limit. Split the file into parts and you should be OK.

Cruise

I don't ever remember hearing that.  To the best of my knowledge, any file size is transferrable.

My guess is it's due to the session timeout (default is 20 min).  I would suggest changing that to something longer, then try it again.  In order to change that setting, you need to install the Toolkit (32-bit or 64-bit).  Please read the Toolkit User Manual as it doesn't install like other add-ins.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:37 PM

All replies

• If I remember correctly, there is a 100mb file transfer size limit. Split the file into parts and you should be OK.

Cruise
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 1:29 PM

Cruise

I don't ever remember hearing that.  To the best of my knowledge, any file size is transferrable.

My guess is it's due to the session timeout (default is 20 min).  I would suggest changing that to something longer, then try it again.  In order to change that setting, you need to install the Toolkit (32-bit or 64-bit).  Please read the Toolkit User Manual as it doesn't install like other add-ins.
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 3:37 PM
    If I recall correctly (and it's been a while since I tested this so my memory may be faulty or Microsoft may have changed this functionality) you are limited in several ways. You can't transfer a file that's more than 2 GB in size at all, no matter what you try. You can't transfer a group of files that, when compressed and archived for the transfer, are more than 2 GB in size either. And you are subject to the session limits that kariya mentioned.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:03 PM
  •  I make it past the archive step and the transfer starts at roughly 1MBps but after a few minutes the transfer fizzles out (about 50-100 MB of the file).  Windows still reports a 250 KBps transfer rate but the file size does not change.

Please follow Kariya21's instructions regarding changing the session timeout.  As for the transfer rate dropping, this is more than likely the result of powerboost.  You would have to follow up with your ISP to confirm what you average upload rate is supposed to be.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, May 18, 2009 6:53 PM
  • If I recall correctly (and it's been a while since I tested this so my memory may be faulty or Microsoft may have changed this functionality) you are limited in several ways. You can't transfer a file that's more than 2 GB in size at all, no matter what you try. You can't transfer a group of files that, when compressed and archived for the transfer, are more than 2 GB in size either. And you are subject to the session limits that kariya mentioned.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Now that you mention it, the 2 GB limit does ring a bell.....
    Monday, May 18, 2009 11:08 PM
  • ive been able to transfer 8gb files successfully from my server. Not uploading though because of the limit and i changed the timeout time :D
    There are 10 differents kinds of people in the world those who understand binary those who dont
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 3:19 AM
  • What's the reason for the 2GB limit - that really hoses you if you want to transfer recently recorded TV shows from your home to your laptop when you are away from home.  I like to do this so that I can watch the shows on my laptop on the flight home.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:51 PM