New Hard Drive after Crash, Live One Care Now Won't Update RRS feed

• Question

• We just had a hard drive crash and had to replace it.  We had the drive backed up via Ghost image and imaged back to the new drive.  All is good and seems to be operating fine, except that One Care, which still shows the correct subscription expiration date, won't update.  When it tries, it goes (now stays) red, with message:
         "OneCare is missing a required update.  ONeCare couldn't install a required update on this PC, which puts this PC at risk from Internet threats.  To fix this, try restarting your computer.  If you receive this message again, click Help"

Help took me to a web page that didn't directly address the problelm.

Would greatly appreciate some help as to how to restore normal LOC operation.

Thank you.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 1:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• ADDENDUM TO THE ABOVE POST:

I have tried to run Windows Update directly, of which there were a number to be downloaded.  Most loaded, but 11 failed, all of which are associated with Office products and Visio.

When I try to install these last 11, i get error codes 80070641 and 641, unknown errors.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 2:21 AM
  • I'd suggest starting by checking your system date and time.

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

And for the Windows Update issue,

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  Time of day is correct.  The intriguing entry on the list is "waiting for 48 hours after a system restoral".  It seems that the natural first step would be to do this and see if it self-resolves in time before resorting to any of the other more intrusive methods.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 3:59 PM
  • The reference to waiting 48 hours is for a system restore using the System Restore option in Windows to use a restore point to return to an earlier time. That isn't what you did when you put the Ghost image onto the new drive. However, your image might be rather old, so the database might be confused and the 48 hour rule could apply.

You checked the time, did you also confirm month/day/year?

-steve

Friday, November 14, 2008 6:15 PM