Export to PSD, Photoshop says file is not compatible with this version (using CS4/CS5) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

So here is the problem. When I use ICE, adjust the projection to something other than the default and save it as an uncompressed, full resolution PSD, photoshop will not open it. Photoshop gives the following error:

"Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop."

I am feeding ICE four 16bit TIFF files and selecting vertical cylinder in this specific case, but I have encountered this before. Any ideas for a fix?

Thanks very much!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Don,

We fixed the 2GB switch from .psd to .psb for the next version of ICE.  As a workaround, if your image is > 30,000 wide or high (yours was 28,160 wide) it will switch to .psb.

--Howard

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:41 PM

All replies

• To add, I have tried with Photoshop CS4 and CS5 with no avail.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:57 PM
  • We have not seen this issue in the past.  Does it work if you provide ICE 8bit source files?

The best way for us to debug this is to share a small example with us that demonstrates the issue.  You would need to share the source files and an ICE project file (.spj file).  One simple way to share this is to post on https://skydrive.live.com/ 

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:14 PM
  • I have found a work-around, simply by using JPG source files instead of 16-bit TIFFs. I will rety 8-bit TIFF files to see if that will work.

I can certainly provide you with the source files to reproduce the error. I'll hopefully get to that today or tomorrow. :)

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I believe the problem stems from ICE generating a PSD file that exceeds the filesize limit associated with PSD files. Possibly add a feature that will detect this and automatically convert it to a PSB (Large Document Format) file?

The file for you to download is rather large, and will not be completely uploaded until the morning. I'll post the link when it is up.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to report this.  ICE is supposed to auto-detect and automatically switch from PSD to PSB.  My guess is that this auto-detect threshold may not be correctly computed for 16bit files - in other words we may have a bug for large 16bit projects.  We will investigate.
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:52 PM
  • No problem at all! Here is the file (over 3GB with source files):

http://donkom.ca/ice-photoshop-fail.zip

Monday, September 12, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi Don,

We fixed the 2GB switch from .psd to .psb for the next version of ICE.  As a workaround, if your image is > 30,000 wide or high (yours was 28,160 wide) it will switch to .psb.

--Howard

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Fantastic, thanks very much!
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:06 PM
  • Hi - I have followed a thread previously concerning the problem that ICE won't export to PSB (Large Doc Format) unless its 30,000 pixels wide, rather than the trigger being the PS 2GB threshold. The answer then was that this bug was fixed for the next version of ICE. I have composites that are well over 2GB but are not 30,000 wide, and I therefore cannot open them in Photoshop - tried everything.

Any launch date due, or any other answers to this problem?

Thanks

• Merged by Matt Uyttendaele Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:10 PM relevant to that thread
    Monday, February 20, 2012 10:48 AM
  • We currently have no immediate plans to update ICE.  Unfortunately I can't think of a good work-around for this bug.  I'm sorry the news isn't better.  Perhaps someone else on the forum has found a decent work-around?
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Not good news. Is there any way of increasing the canvas size (with the crop tool?) beyond the image to reach the 30,000? Tried everything so pretty sure there's not.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:42 PM