Vista can't access the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some issues with Vista not being able to access the Data folder or any other on the WHS from my laptop or another desktop where I am dual booting.  It works fine when I am in XP on either machine. 

The WHS sees the Vista and can access the Vista shared folders on both machines, but, not the other way around.  Has anyone else seen this?

Jan :)  

Saturday, February 17, 2007 8:31 PM

Answers

• Just a little extra information, if it was your firewall blocking the issue, open port 8912 for the Connector.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Jan,

I have a similar problem ...

1) WHS installed on a desktop PC with wired connection to my home router.

2) WHS Connector installed on desktop PC with wireless connection to my home router.

After installing the WHS Connector on my Vista PC, the wizard can't automatically find the Windows Home Server ...

When trying to configure manually :

-> if I specify server IP address and password, I get a message telling me there must be a network error.

-> if I specify the server name "server" and password, I get a message telling me the password is incorrect (which I'm sure is not).

Using explorer on the Vista PC, I can attach a network driver to the WHS machine without a problem.

What am I missing ?

Eric.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:14 PM
  •  Eric LAMIDIAUX wrote:

-> if I specify the server name "server" and password, I get a message telling me the password is incorrect (which I'm sure is not).

If you're talking about the WHS Console above you need to make sure that you're using the password for the Administrator account, the one that you were forced to change from blank right after the install was completed and not the password of a user account you created later.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:29 AM
  •  Jan Ilacqua wrote:

I am having some issues with Vista not being able to access the Data folder or any other on the WHS from my laptop or another desktop where I am dual booting.  It works fine when I am in XP on either machine. 

The WHS sees the Vista and can access the Vista shared folders on both machines, but, not the other way around.  Has anyone else seen this?

Can you provide some more details of what you're trying to do here? There is no shared folder on a WHS box called DATA. You should see:

Music, Photos, Public, Software, Videos, and then a shared folder for each user account you've defined on the WHS box.

How are you trying to access the WHS box from your Vista computer? Can you connect using the WHS Console? Can you connect to http://server? Have you installed the connector software on the Vista box? Any error messages?

Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:32 AM
  •  Paul Adare wrote:
     Jan Ilacqua wrote:

I am having some issues with Vista not being able to access the Data folder or any other on the WHS from my laptop or another desktop where I am dual booting.  It works fine when I am in XP on either machine. 

Can you provide some more details of what you're trying to do here? There is no shared folder on a WHS box called DATA. You should see:

Music, Photos, Public, Software, Videos, and then a shared folder for each user account you've defined on the WHS box.

How are you trying to access the WHS box from your Vista computer? Can you connect using the WHS Console? Can you connect to http://server? Have you installed the connector software on the Vista box? Any error messages?

Are you attempting to access WHS through the Network window in Vista? If so, are you seeing two icons for your WHS box; one labeled Computer and one labeled Other Devices in the Category column (you need to set the view to Details in order to have the Catergory column populated)? If so, then you need to access the one labeled Computer, not the one labeled Other Devices.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:06 AM
  • Hi Paul,

When installing the WHS Connector CD on the client PC, it ends with a wizard trying to detect the WHS server automatically. In my case it fails to do so. So I tried to use the manual option specifying the name and password / or the IP and password (the admin one of course) but either methods fails. Finally I ended the install without configuring the WHS server on the client end.

Thereafter, If I try to connect using the WHS console, it also fails with that message : http://perso.orange.fr/lamidiaux.eric/WHS_ConsoleNOK.JPG

But I have no problem connecting with IE (http://server/...) and logon with my standard user, from there I can Remote Access my WHS using the admin password.

http://perso.orange.fr/lamidiaux.eric/WHS_HTTPServerOK.JPG

Regards,

Eric.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:59 AM
  •  Eric LAMIDIAUX wrote:

Hi Paul,

When installing the WHS Connector CD on the client PC, it ends with a wizard trying to detect the WHS server automatically. In my case it fails to do so. So I tried to use the manual option specifying the name and password / or the IP and password (the admin one of course) but either methods fails. Finally I ended the install without configuring the WHS server on the client end.

Thereafter, If I try to connect using the WHS console, it also fails with that message : http://perso.orange.fr/lamidiaux.eric/WHS_ConsoleNOK.JPG

But I have no problem connecting with IE (http://server/...) and logon with my standard user, from there I can Remote Access my WHS using the admin password.

http://perso.orange.fr/lamidiaux.eric/WHS_HTTPServerOK.JPG

Hmm, weird. Sorry I wasn't able to help Eric.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:56 PM
  • I had a similar problem last night (but with XP Home client).

My XP Pro (work) laptop connected fine to WHS (and I noted a few ZoneLabs popups) however my XP Home PC was having none of it. After remembering the ZoneLabs popups I temporarily uninstalled OneCare and disabled Windows Firewall - suddently everything sprung into life. I then reinstalled OneCare and it then started prompting me (OneCare has recognised....).

I was going to submit this on Connect but wasn't sure I could give enough detail for a solid bug report.

-- Chris

edit:  I could RDP & browse the shared folders on the WHS even though the connector couldn't authenticate me.  (Invalid password, running the software from a copied folder on the local machine).
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 4:33 PM
  • I tried turning off the firewall, I don't use WOC, and disabled the AV I have, and still no luck when in Vista on either the Laptop or desktop. If it sees the server, then it should be able to access it. The fact that I am not even prompted for a pw or such to gain access is confusing. Not sure if it has to do with the dual booting, but, it might.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I was able to repro this issue on Vista connected wirelessly. I am opening a bug to track this. Thank you for reporting the issue.

(For now, you may try connecting the machine to the router via ethernet cable and see whether it works?)

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:45 PM
  •  Dileep K wrote:

I was able to repro this issue on Vista connected wirelessly. I am opening a bug to track this. Thank you for reporting the issue.

(For now, you may try connecting the machine to the router via Ethernet cable and see whether it works?)

Thank you, and you are welcome.  The desktop, on which I do have the same problem, is connected with  an Ethernet cable.  The laptop is wireless, and I will try that with an Ethernet cable as you suggest and see if that works and report back.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 10:58 PM
  •  Dileep K wrote:

I was able to repro this issue on Vista connected wirelessly. I am opening a bug to track this. Thank you for reporting the issue.

(For now, you may try connecting the machine to the router via ethernet cable and see whether it works?)

Ok...I have tried this from the wireless laptop using an Ethernet cable and it still will not access the server.  So, the laptop, wireless or wired, and the desktop which is connected by ethernet cable only, will not access the server when in Vista.

You did not mention before, but, does it work for you in Vista when wired? 

Monday, February 19, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Any of you reviewed the event logs for an answer?
    Monday, February 19, 2007 11:34 AM
  •  Domifuling wrote:
    Any of you reviewed the event logs for an answer?

Hi :-)

I have several errors in the Event viewer that I don't know what they relate to, but, none seem to relate to this problem that I can tell.  I have reported them as bugs, as they are related to something that is not as it should be and hoping to hear back from the team on what they are related to so I can better troubleshoot.  I sent support information which will provide all the details of the errors and perhaps what is generating them.  However, I would be very surprised if any of them were the reason for not being able to connect with Vista, especially, since Dileep K was able to repro it and likely not having the same errors I'm getting.  Guess I have to wait and see.

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:20 PM
  • I just troubleshot a similiar problem.  It was a Vista system and this person had a 3rd party firewall installed.  He could connect through http://server but not to \\server.  He also could not ping the server.  I had him disable Symantec which came with his Vista computer. 

Disable your firewall for troubleshooting purposes and see if you can connect.

Monday, February 19, 2007 10:00 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:

I just troubleshot a similiar problem.  It was a Vista system and this person had a 3rd party file installed.  He could connect through http://server but not to \\server.  He also could not ping the server.  I had him disable Symantec which came with his Vista computer. 

Disable your firewall for troubleshooting purposes and see if you can connect.

Thanks, Joel, I will try this and let you know what happens. I don't have anything Symantiec on any of my machines.

Monday, February 19, 2007 11:40 PM
  • I can confirm that certain firewalls, including OneCare, seem to block without a prompt. On my box with OneCare I have to disable the firewall to connect via the Home Server console. Remote Desktop and access via the web both work (which makes sense since the firewall is not blocking those ports). I saw on another post that port 4125 needed to be open to access the server remotely but opening that port didn't solve my problem. Does anyone have a list of ports the server is using?
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Yup, those ports are forwarded in my router (and open in my firewall on the machine) but there is something else going on in my firewall. What exactly is port 4125 being used for? There has to be something else being blocked by the OneCare firewall.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:20 PM
  • I think 3389 on your PC that is being remote accessed needs to be allowed but only for that PC.  This maybe needed for clients who have firewalls install on there PC inside there home network.  I might come back and edit this answer later.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Just a little extra information, if it was your firewall blocking the issue, open port 8912 for the Connector.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:00 PM
  • I opened port 8912 in my OneCare firewall but that didn't correct the problem. It's strange, I reset my firewall and had it prompt me when a program first tries to access the internet.  I started the WHS console and it prompted me for Discovery.exe and WHSConnector.exe (I'm guessing on the second since this was last night). I allowed both and was able to connect to the console. I closed the console and reopened it to verify it still worked. I declared success and put the computer the sleep. I can back a couple hours later, tried to connect to the console, and got the message immediately saying it couldn't connect. I disabled my firewall and was able to immediately connect. I've added every executable in the WHS directory to my exception list and still no go. I just added port 8912 open both ways and nothing. I decided to reset my firewall and start over. The only problem, I was remoting in from my office and reseting the firewall kicked me out and disabled remote desktop (DOH).

Can anyone recommend a good diagnostic tool that can monitor what programs are trying to access the network on which ports? That should help me get a better picture of what's going on.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:17 PM
  • Hi all.....after doing some extensive troubleshooting, the problem seemed to be that the Vista could not see the server.  While it was seeing the server "icon", the one that looks like a PC, it was not seeing the server itself as a member of the network.  I went back and re-did the network setup in Vista, but, an hour later still nothing.  However, this morning, a second Server was in the list, the icon looked like all the other members of the network.  When I clicked to access the server I was able to access all the folders in the shares folder, including the Data folder I created for specific files.  I don't think I did anything different in the network setup the second time, but, perhaps just re-doing the network setup caused the server to be recognized at some point.   I don't know, but, that is the only thing I can think of after all this time and then suddenly it shows up.

I have no firewall in use other than the Windows firewall.  I have NOD32 installed on the Vista, but, it was not installed until after my initial post so that was not blocking it.  Windows Defender is always turned off and I don't use WOC.  I have the WinPatrol installed on the Vista, but, I don't think that would be blocking anything as the server is now showing up.  But, at least at this point it does appear that the problem is resolved, at least for now.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Also go to a cmd prompt and

ping server and see if it properly replies.  I have seen lots of errors when dns is configured for an external dns server and some routers have cached bad info

Still......Grey

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:54 PM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

Also go to a cmd prompt and

ping server and see if it properly replies.  I have seen lots of errors when dns is configured for an external dns server and some routers have cached bad info

Still......Grey

Thank you, will do.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:05 PM