Installation Challenges RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to WHS but love the idea so I downloaded the evaluation file from Windows.  I saved the ISO file to my hard drive and then burned it into a DVD-R.  I don't know enough about ISO files and I know they won't boot so what am I supposed to do now?  I read the installation files a half-dozen times and am lost.  I have a program that will "extract" ISO files but how would I burn them into the DVD and in what order would they go so they are in the correct place?  If this is successful, as I am sure it will be, I will be purchasing the full copy.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Each common burning software (but not Windows itself without any tools besides version 7) will be able to directly copy the ISO image to a DVD (you should not create a DVD manually and write the file on it!).
    In Nero simply open the image file via file menu and follow the dialogs.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, September 18, 2009 9:22 PM
  • ImgBurn is a free alternative
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Thanks to all.  I did find ImgBurn and it worked fine after I did a little reading to find out what an ISO file was.  I guess I just never ran into this issue over the years of playing with Windows products.

So I now have anothe issue.  I was tinkering around with WHS and decided that it is a good thing for me to back up my home computers and also as an easy way to get connected when I am on the road.  I started out with a relatively new desktop that was doing nothing so I installed it on that machine.  It had a little 160g had drive and it was getting too full too fast so I ran out and picked up a cheap 500g internal to add to my machine.  But Seagate says that the included software is NOT For networking computers and I am stumped as to how to make it work.  It is recognized in BIOS but not in WHS.  Seagate wants me to buy some software to make the Barracuda run on my WHS computer.  Any ideas?

One more question - when I now look at software some programs are for XP (my favorite) and some are for Vista.  If I am looking at programs for my WHS Server, which would I choose?

Thanks.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Thanks to all.  I did find ImgBurn and it worked fine after I did a little reading to find out what an ISO file was.  I guess I just never ran into this issue over the years of playing with Windows products.

So I now have anothe issue.  I was tinkering around with WHS and decided that it is a good thing for me to back up my home computers and also as an easy way to get connected when I am on the road.  I started out with a relatively new desktop that was doing nothing so I installed it on that machine.  It had a little 160g had drive and it was getting too full too fast so I ran out and picked up a cheap 500g internal to add to my machine.  But Seagate says that the included software is NOT For networking computers and I am stumped as to how to make it work.  It is recognized in BIOS but not in WHS.

It doesn't show up in the WHS Console at all?  If not, try connecting that drive to a client and formatting it there (using NTFS).  Then try it in the server again.

Seagate wants me to buy some software to make the Barracuda run on my WHS computer.  Any ideas?

One more question - when I now look at software some programs are for XP (my favorite) and some are for Vista.  If I am looking at programs for my WHS Server, which would I choose?

Thanks.
    Neither.  You should not use your server as a desktop PC (besides, logging into the server desktop is unsupported).  You'll be much better off if you let it do its job as it is.  :)
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:24 PM