How can I swap a drive from Backup to Storage Pool use? RRS feed

• Question

• I had 2 drives installed in WHS, the primary drive is a 200GB drive and the other is a 1.5 TB drive.  The primary drive was split into the 20GB System drive and the rest was the Data drive.  The 1.5 TB drive had a 20 GB partition to mirror the System partition, and the rest was unallocated.  I added an additional 1.5 TB drive today with the intention of adding it to the storage pool, but I guess I missed that option because now the entire 3rd drive is unallocated.  Is there a way to re-run the wizard for this?  Is there a way for me to have the system utilize the unallocated space on the 2nd drive?
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:10 AM

Answers

• Well, I moved the drives to my PC so I wouldn't have to deal with add-on card driver issues and used the Seagate DiscWizard utility to perform a zero fill on both of the SATA drives.  Plugged them back into the WHS computer and opened the console and voila, there they both were under non-storage drives.  This time no wizard popped up until I clicked the Add button, unlike before where one popped up as soon as the console opened - prior to me even clickingon the Server Storage tab.  Anyway, they added without a hitch and now I have scads of self-regulating stoarage space.  I couldn't be happier!

It occurs to me that when I installed WHS with the 1 IDE drive and the 1 SATA drive, I was never prompted on how I wanted to handle the SATA drive.  I know it wasn't seen by the system during the first part of the install, but once it started actually booting from the IDE drive, I wonder if it got recognized at some point and just got assimilated however the system wanted to use it.  Perhaps that is why I got that wizard to start prior to me even trying to add it to the system via the Server Storage tab.  Don't much matter, as long as it works now.

• Marked as answer by Sabrefox Friday, June 18, 2010 7:04 PM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 7:04 PM

All replies

• When you add a drive to Windows Home Server as a backup drive or part of server storage, it will utilize the entire drive, creating a single partition. So that first 1.5 TB drive was never "added" using the console if it has a 20 GB partition on it. It sounds like the second drive was never "added" either.

What you will want to do is open the console and go to the server storage tab. I think you should see three drives there, two (1.5 TB each) that aren't part of server storage and your system drive. You should be able to add those two drives to server storage, or as backup drives, from there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:19 PM
  • That's why this is so confusing for me.  I read all about how WHS manages everything, but it doesn't seem to be doing that for me. The only drive I see in the Server Storage tab is the 200 GB primary drive. 

I'll try to keep this brief, but I'll explain how I got here.  I have an older ASUS P4533 motherboard with no SATA connectors on it.  I bought a SATA PCI card and 2 1.5 TB drives, and intended on using only those drives in the WHS machine.  However, try as I might, I couldn't get WHS to see the drives to load the OS.  I decided to use the 200 GB IDE drive to hold the OS and see if it would recognize the SATA card after the OS loaded.  At the time I only had 1 of the 1.5 TB drives connected (needed another power cable for the other).  After the install and all the reboots, I ended up with the 20 GB system partition on both the primary drive and the 1.5 TB drive.  I don't think the Data partition showed up until I started loading files into the shared folders from a USB drive.  That partition only shows up on the primary drive.

Today I had the equipment to add the other 1.5 TB drive.  After starting WHS, I opened the Console and before I even went to the Server Storage tab, a wizard opened (Initializing wizard, I think) and walked me through the process.  I don't remember it giving me an option of adding it to the storage bank or using it for backups.  After the wizard was done, I went to the Server Storage tab and only the primary drive was shown.

I know the system sees the drive.  When I go into Computer Management, I can see all the drives that are connected.  That is where I see that for the most part both 1.5 TB drives are unallocated.  I've thought about reformating the SATA drives on another system and then reinstalling them into WHS - I'm almost positive that my desktop was a spare SATA connector I could use for that.  Any idea if that would work?

Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Well, I moved the drives to my PC so I wouldn't have to deal with add-on card driver issues and used the Seagate DiscWizard utility to perform a zero fill on both of the SATA drives.  Plugged them back into the WHS computer and opened the console and voila, there they both were under non-storage drives.  This time no wizard popped up until I clicked the Add button, unlike before where one popped up as soon as the console opened - prior to me even clickingon the Server Storage tab.  Anyway, they added without a hitch and now I have scads of self-regulating stoarage space.  I couldn't be happier!

It occurs to me that when I installed WHS with the 1 IDE drive and the 1 SATA drive, I was never prompted on how I wanted to handle the SATA drive.  I know it wasn't seen by the system during the first part of the install, but once it started actually booting from the IDE drive, I wonder if it got recognized at some point and just got assimilated however the system wanted to use it.  Perhaps that is why I got that wizard to start prior to me even trying to add it to the system via the Server Storage tab.  Don't much matter, as long as it works now.

• Marked as answer by Sabrefox Friday, June 18, 2010 7:04 PM
    Friday, June 18, 2010 7:04 PM