Money and Win 7 - can't update from .qif files RRS feed

• Question

• I run MS Money 2005 UK on Wins 7.  On the OS I have an admin account, but do my normal activities in a user account with a different password and without admin privileges.  Although the program generally functions properly, I have the following two problems or bothers:

1. Every time I start Money I have to give the admin password for it to start at all.  Not a killer but not desirable either.
    2. I update several accounts via .qif files downloaded from my financial institutions' web sites.  When  I was running XP these downloads automatically transferred into Money as updates ready for my confirmation.  On the Win 7 machine I am not able to get money to recognize them at all.  Even if I manually open the .qif files nothing happens.  I do not know how to get Money to recognize them and process their data.  Consequently I have to update my Money file by firing up the old XP machine and updating the shared .mny file from it.
    I have not figured out whether these problems are simply a fact of life with Win 7, whether they are related somehow to the way I installed or configured Money when I set it up on the new machine, or whether there is a work around for them.

BTW I no longer remember exactly how I installed Money, but I think I did it as my unprivileged user, choosing to run the install program as admin (and giving the admin password), and running the install in XP sp 2 compatibility mode.

Can anyone tell me why I am having these issues and if there is a fix for them?  Thanks!

- Cowshill

Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:25 PM

Answers

• I am not so good about matters of file ownership and priviliage. What I would do is to copy your Money *.mny file to a USB flash drive that is formatted in FAT32. That way there will be no ownership info. Then copy that file, maybe with a new name, to the Documents folder of the user you intend to usually run as. Then open Money by double clicking (or right-clicking and choosing Open) that file in the Documents folder.

Once inside, change the backup file name and locations to a place that that user can write to.

I like to do the every-time backup into my Documents folder and keep the latest 20. I like to do the scheduled backup every two weeks to a USB flash drive, and keep the latest 4.

Later, you can open Money with the program shortcut as you have been doing, or you could create a shortcut to the Money *.mny file.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:11 PM