Raptor won't back up RRS feed

• Question

• I had a 160gb wd in my win7 64bit machine.  I used ATI to move it to a 74gb raptor.  I deleted the computer from backups on my WHS and uninstalled and reinstalled connector.  When I try to backup the machine I get a "The backup failed becasue your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot. To resolve this problem try running chkdsk /r/f on each of your hard drives and restart your computer.  I did this.  The machine runs fine and everthing works so far.  But still get the same error.  Anything else I should check?

Wanted to add that this is the only computer on the whs that has a SRP.  Don't know if that makes a difference.

Friday, January 8, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• Kanebrake:

How large is your SRP? Is it the standard 100 MB? WHS is supposed to work with Windows 7 with 100 MB system reserved partitions but the inability to create a snapshot may be due to a VSS error. Normally, VSS needs a minimum of 300 MB free space on a partition in order to create a snapshot. I'm not sure how this is worked around with WHS, but it does work for people with Windows 7 and only a 100 MB SRP.

One possibility then is to make your system reserved partition larger.

Another possibility is to enable system restore on the SRP, and use the button on the configure screen to delete all restore points, then disable system restore on the partition. Or use the VSSAdmin command-line tool to try to force Windows to abort any existing use of VSS storage on the SRP.

There are some other things to look at mentioned in this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b474b820-31fc-49a6-9072-955cdf603540
    • Marked as answer by Kanebrake Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:14 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Well, that won't work. The partition is below the minimum size and free space that will allow a Windows Home Server backup to work. How (and why) is it so small? Did you resize it as part of the disk imaging? If you still have the old disk, try again, but make sure the system reserved partition doesn't change size.

Note: there is no guarantee that you'll be successful in getting any disk copied using a disk imaging or duplication tool to back up afterward. Microsoft doesn't support/approve the use of such tools except in the special case of a disk prepared for duplication/distribution in new PCs using sysprep. Usually it will work, but all of the disk imaging tools I've looked at (and used, in some cases) can potentially create partitions that can't be backed up, for no obvious reason.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Kanebrake Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:13 PM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• Check the settings for System Restore on each partition on the new drive. If you cloned or imaged a drive to the Raptor you may have an "orphaned" drive pointing to the GUID of the old partition listed on the System Restore properties page. If so, delete it, leaving only valid entries for the partition(s) on the new drive.

It may be helpful to configure the backup for one volume at a time to see if the problem is localized to a particular volume.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:00 PM
  • I had already tried turning off SR & then back on again. No change. I tried reconfiguring the backup to exclude the System Reserved Partition and it backed up this time.  The problem with this is if I have to restore the backup I will get a missing bootmgr when it's reboot because the boot files are on the SRP.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Kanebrake:

How large is your SRP? Is it the standard 100 MB? WHS is supposed to work with Windows 7 with 100 MB system reserved partitions but the inability to create a snapshot may be due to a VSS error. Normally, VSS needs a minimum of 300 MB free space on a partition in order to create a snapshot. I'm not sure how this is worked around with WHS, but it does work for people with Windows 7 and only a 100 MB SRP.

One possibility then is to make your system reserved partition larger.

Another possibility is to enable system restore on the SRP, and use the button on the configure screen to delete all restore points, then disable system restore on the partition. Or use the VSSAdmin command-line tool to try to force Windows to abort any existing use of VSS storage on the SRP.

There are some other things to look at mentioned in this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/b474b820-31fc-49a6-9072-955cdf603540
    • Marked as answer by Kanebrake Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:14 PM
    Friday, January 8, 2010 11:17 PM
  • The minimum free space is dependent on partition size. 300 MB is for large partitions; a 100 MB partition can have as little as (I think) 40 MB free.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:52 PM
  • The SRP is 47MB with 17MB free.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Well, that won't work. The partition is below the minimum size and free space that will allow a Windows Home Server backup to work. How (and why) is it so small? Did you resize it as part of the disk imaging? If you still have the old disk, try again, but make sure the system reserved partition doesn't change size.

Note: there is no guarantee that you'll be successful in getting any disk copied using a disk imaging or duplication tool to back up afterward. Microsoft doesn't support/approve the use of such tools except in the special case of a disk prepared for duplication/distribution in new PCs using sysprep. Usually it will work, but all of the disk imaging tools I've looked at (and used, in some cases) can potentially create partitions that can't be backed up, for no obvious reason.
    • Marked as answer by Kanebrake Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:13 PM
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:21 PM
  • I didn't know that a minimum amount was required.  And I have no idea how it got that size.  I used a partition prg called Partition wizard to reduce the front of the c: partition and then increase the SRP to 100MB.  Both the partitions backup now.  This is the only machine that has this SRP.  I checked the other 3 Win7 machines on the network and nada.   I have not tried to restore yet.  Going to have to try soon to make sure I'm not wasting my time here.  Thanks Mark & Ken.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:13 PM