XP Pro install fails with COA product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer with a valid COMPAQ-labeled (in black) COA stuck to the side.  The sticker is valid for either (one-time choice) Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro (has 2 product keys).  I can't find the original CD, if in fact I ever had it (too many computers to keep track).  I upgraded to a bigger hard drive when the old one flaked out, and when I went to install XP from a retail CD, the install process would not accept the product key on the COA attached to the computer I'm upgrading with a new hard drive (no other changes).  I can't use the retail key, because the OS from that disk is installed on another PC, and you only get to use the same key once.  That's fine, because I have a different key on the computer I'm upgrading, so I have two licenses that are valid.  But I can't proceed beyone the key verification screen, because the install process says the key is invalid.  It's not - it's right there on the COA.  What gives?  I have a real MS Windows XP Pro cd, a real MS COA on the computer I'm upgrading, a real XP Product key on same, but I can't install XP because it says invalid key.  I'm not going to buy another copy of XP when I already paid for a valid license on the Compaq when I bought it; I shouldn't have to pay MS twice for the same thing.  Any idea how to fix this?
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:34 PM

Answers

• You cannot use a OEM Product Key with a Retail Windows XP CD.  The OEM Product Key affixed to the Compaq computer is only valid with a Compaq recovery CD.  Please see the following:

Obtaining HP or Compaq Recovery CDs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:05 AM
  • Gsteele531,

It is possible to use the Compaq OEM Product Key if you use (as an alternate to the Compaq-provided recovery solution) a genuine MS OEM hologram XP Pro CDROM as your installation media.  If you have a friend or relative with such as CD, borrow it.  Please resist the tempation to use anything other than a genuine hologram CD, as there is a very real risk of installing rootkits, viruses, trojans, and God-knows-what-else if you use a pirated or downloaded CD.  There are already way too may zombied computers spewing out spam email, we don't need to add yours to the collection!

DO NOT use the Product Key that came with the CD.  The genuine MS OEM hologram XP Pro CDROM will accept your Compaq's XP Pro Product Key during Setup.  The "catch" is that in order to activate after installation is complete, you have to do a telephonic activation and explain your circumstances to the Product Activation phone rep, who will then issue a telephonic activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:43 PM
  • Hi savanigiul,

Please re-post your question in the Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

Best regards,

Jenifer

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:27 PM

All replies

• You cannot use a OEM Product Key with a Retail Windows XP CD.  The OEM Product Key affixed to the Compaq computer is only valid with a Compaq recovery CD.  Please see the following:

Obtaining HP or Compaq Recovery CDs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:05 AM
  • Gsteele531,

It is possible to use the Compaq OEM Product Key if you use (as an alternate to the Compaq-provided recovery solution) a genuine MS OEM hologram XP Pro CDROM as your installation media.  If you have a friend or relative with such as CD, borrow it.  Please resist the tempation to use anything other than a genuine hologram CD, as there is a very real risk of installing rootkits, viruses, trojans, and God-knows-what-else if you use a pirated or downloaded CD.  There are already way too may zombied computers spewing out spam email, we don't need to add yours to the collection!

DO NOT use the Product Key that came with the CD.  The genuine MS OEM hologram XP Pro CDROM will accept your Compaq's XP Pro Product Key during Setup.  The "catch" is that in order to activate after installation is complete, you have to do a telephonic activation and explain your circumstances to the Product Activation phone rep, who will then issue a telephonic activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

Thursday, November 30, 2006 7:43 PM
  • I want to activate windows product key. please send me the ID Key

thank you.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 5:24 AM
  • ahmm.. i hav a toshiba satelite p25-s520.. i reinstald d recovry dsk.. upd8d my (hom edtion)servic pack to SP2.. and now wen d comp askd me 4 my product key(after upgrading), i used d one attached 2 my comp but windows insisted dat it isn't a corect product key.. pls help..
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Hi savanigiul,

Please re-post your question in the Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

Best regards,

Jenifer

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:27 PM
  • okay, i shouldn't even have to tell you this, Kushil De Silva, but we can't just give you a key.  first of all, it's "a" key, not "the" key.  Each individual computer is designed to have their own product key and is limited to a certain number of activations (often only one).  That is piracy against microsoft for someone else to give you their key.  It is illegal in every state, and you can go to jail for a LONG time if you get caught.  that should not even need to be discussed ON THE MICROSOFT WEBSITE!!!  if you need one so bad, go buy one, although it is very easy to get around xp's activation.  Smile

Sunday, June 1, 2008 1:54 AM
  •  Gsteele531 wrote:
    I have a computer with a valid COMPAQ-labeled (in black) COA stuck to the side.  The sticker is valid for either (one-time choice) Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro (has 2 product keys).  I can't find the original CD, if in fact I ever had it (too many computers to keep track).  I upgraded to a bigger hard drive when the old one flaked out, and when I went to install XP from a retail CD, the install process would not accept the product key on the COA attached to the computer I'm upgrading with a new hard drive (no other changes).  I can't use the retail key, because the OS from that disk is installed on another PC, and you only get to use the same key once.  That's fine, because I have a different key on the computer I'm upgrading, so I have two licenses that are valid.  But I can't proceed beyone the key verification screen, because the install process says the key is invalid.  It's not - it's right there on the COA.  What gives?  I have a real MS Windows XP Pro cd, a real MS COA on the computer I'm upgrading, a real XP Product key on same, but I can't install XP because it says invalid key.  I'm not going to buy another copy of XP when I already paid for a valid license on the Compaq when I bought it; I shouldn't have to pay MS twice for the same thing.  Any idea how to fix this?

I have this same problem except the harddrive I replaced with already has windows 2000 op sys on it. I have reinstall cd and key but my Del won't work. I have no idea what to do.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Hi concludence,

Please re-post your question in the XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues forum. They can assist you with the issue you are having in that forum.

Best regareds,

Jenifer

Monday, June 9, 2008 3:20 PM