Office 2003 dictionary install creates invalidation? RRS feed

• Question

• A known issue is that there is no spell checker with MSN Mail once when using Vista/Office 2007.  A fix given by Microsoft and other forums is to install only the dictionary (proofing tools) from a previous version of Office.  I installed the proofing tools from my Office 2003 CD.  That worked for the spell checker issue very well... but now if I try to download a template (I'm using Office 2007) it fails the validation and says that Office 2003 is not genuine.  As I mentioned I ONLY have the dictionary installed and don't know how to activate that by itself.

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:11 AM

Answers

• Hello Robin,

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide your results here in the forum. This will provide us information so we may analyze what your experiencing. 

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Glad to hear :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hello Robin,

Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide your results here in the forum. This will provide us information so we may analyze what your experiencing. 

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:50 PM
  • I uninstalled Office 2003 proofing tools (dictionary) because I needed to get those templates and am currently running without a spell checker.  Should I still run the MGA diagnostic tool?  I ran the Office diagnostics tool yesterday and it completed without error. 

I am not near the Office 2003 product at the moment but it was purchased from Microsoft.  It was purchased separately from a computer. 

The issue I am experiencing is, as stated, I have a new laptop with Windows Vista.  I purchased separately Office 2007 and installed it.  I use MSN Premium as my mail program and once I installed Office 2007 there is no English dictionary and therefore no spell checker for my MSN mail.  Other forums recommended installing an older version of Office proofing tools only.  I did that and the spell checker worked well.  However, when I needed to download an Office template into Word and it prompted a validation of my Micrisoft product, it verified that the 2007 version was valid but failed the Office 2003 validation.  It tells me to fix that to open the product and activate it, but not having installed anything but proofing tools, I can't open the product to activate it.  I had to uninstall the 2003 Office in order to download the template, leaving me with no spell checker again.

I really need an e-mail spell checker and I really need to have access to the Office templates!  Help!

Friday, November 16, 2007 11:03 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem related to Office 2003 components (spell-checker) not being validated. I'm otherwise using Office 2007 Enterprise on Vista 64. The Office 2007 part validates without problems, the 2003 spell checker does not validate and so I am unable to download templates. I actually have Office 2003 Microsoft Document Imaging installed as well as I need to be able to access documents in .mdi format, but apparently there is no activation for Document Imaging.

(Not including a .mdi conversion utility in Office 2007 makes one wonder about Microsoft's commitment to its customers, but that of course, is a separate issue.)

Saturday, November 17, 2007 8:08 AM
  • A week or two ago I ran some Windows/Office updates and - voila! - I now have an English language dictionary and a spellchecker.  Thank you, Microsoft!

Sunday, December 23, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Glad to hear :-)

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:00 PM
  • Where is the update that solves this problem, please?

I am completely unable to spell check in 2007 Outlook.  Thank you!

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:55 PM
  • I'm not exactly sure.  In my last post I said "a week or two ago" I updated something that fixed it.  I updated most Windows and Office Updates automatically as they popped up since my laptop was new and I needed to get caught up on updates.  Looking att he post dates, if it was one or two weeks before my post on 12/23, it must have been "2007 Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)" which installed on 12/12, OR "Office 2003 SP3" which installed on 12/3 (but I think it had to be the SP1).  I also installed several Windows Updates but none seem to relate to anything that would matter in this case.  Good luck!  I know it's very frustrating!

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:16 PM
  • BonjourBetsy,

I am encountering the VERY same issues with Outlook Express - no option to spell check in English language.  Were you able to find out which service update  "Robinsan" installed???  Please help and thank you.

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:35 PM