Parent Account with custom entity show all child account records for that custom entity? RRS feed

• Question

• Hoping someone can help me out or point me in the right direction.

We are a service based company that uses CRM 2011 on premise to keep track of all our clients (among other things).  We have created custom entities to track things like "system notes" or "equipment" for each account.  Currently we have been creating one account for each client, even if that client has multiple offices.  This is causing lots of issues because we need to track information about each of the clients locations, not just the overall account. 

What we want is have a parent account for the main office of the client, then child accounts for all other branches.  Each child account will have information in the custom entities (e.g. System Notes) for only that account (e.g. system notes for that location only).  The parent account will show the information for all the child accounts for that same custom entity (e.g. show system notes from all child accounts).  This is the same process as when you create a case in a child account, the parent account can see all the cases for all child accounts.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?  I'm assuming we will probably need to do some coding beyond JavaScript, and that's ok.  I have experience with C++ so C# should be extremely similar, although I don't program for a living and haven't programmed anything for CRM so I will definitely need some guidance (tutorial, instructions, references, etc.).  Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

Friday, May 24, 2013 8:30 PM

Answers

• Structing accounts correctly is a difficult challenge. I blogged about it in a couple of blog articles in 2010, and it's still just as hard today.

By default only system entities (such as activities and cases) can be rolled up to the parent account. So if you want similar functionality you have two primary options:

1. Write a custom report that performs the roll-up of your child records at a head office level.
    2. Don't use a separate account entity for each of your client's locations. Instead, use a single account and multiple location records (don't use the system address entity because they not very extensible). On every child record, like system note, you'll need to specify the parent account and the parent account's location that the note is associated with.

One of these options might make most sense given your particular scenario, or there might be other options, but hope the general advice helps. It's hard to give a definitive answer without knowing lots more about your business and its requirements.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:27 PM

All replies

• Structing accounts correctly is a difficult challenge. I blogged about it in a couple of blog articles in 2010, and it's still just as hard today.

By default only system entities (such as activities and cases) can be rolled up to the parent account. So if you want similar functionality you have two primary options:

1. Write a custom report that performs the roll-up of your child records at a head office level.
    2. Don't use a separate account entity for each of your client's locations. Instead, use a single account and multiple location records (don't use the system address entity because they not very extensible). On every child record, like system note, you'll need to specify the parent account and the parent account's location that the note is associated with.

One of these options might make most sense given your particular scenario, or there might be other options, but hope the general advice helps. It's hard to give a definitive answer without knowing lots more about your business and its requirements.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Friday, May 24, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Thanks Neil -  I like the idea of creating a location entity for the accounts, I think we will pursue that option.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:51 PM