Upload folders and/or multiple files RRS feed

• Question

• What would be great is a better way to upload files.

-The option to select a folder and upload that.

-The option to select more files like cntl+a

My media library is so big that doing it on a file by file basis just takes to long.

On the local network I used the SMB share and drag and dropped the complete folders.  But remote a other upload method would be very much appriciated.

Remco

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:33 PM

Answers

• I have to ask, and please pardon me if I seem a little short, but...

Has anyone actually bothered to try this with the CTP?!!!

I just did, and got a very pretty file upload dialog which let me select files (one at a time, to be sure, but that's a relatively minor annoyance), build an upload list, and upload a whole batch of files all at once.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:37 PM
  • Jason, you can already download multiple files/folders easily. Check 'em off, and WHS will ship you a zip file.

As for "cool features," the one you're really looking for is ActiveX, and frankly, Microsoft cannot implement ActiveX on any browser other than Internet Explorer, for the simple reason that the only browser they wrote is IE. Without ActiveX, you can't have access to the WHS Console in the Remote Access Web site, so no Computers tab. Without ActiveX, you have to use alternative methods of composing and sending email, so OWA has reduced functionality.

I agree that there are some non-ActiveX related issues with browsers other than IE and WHS, however. There are some file name issues, for example. Microsoft should fix those issues, where they are the result of Microsoft doing something in a non-standards compliant way. If, OTOH, it's the browser that's not compliant with the appropriate standards, I don't see where Microsoft has an obligation to break their code in exactly the right way to work with that browser right now. They'd potentially have to do it for every major or minor version of the browser released. And a lot of those cool features are reliant on ActiveX, so you won't see them on other browsers.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:54 PM

All replies

• Hi!

I absolutely agree with remco. It would be very handy to have the ability to upload several Files (STRG oder Shift and select pictures) or to upload whole directories (After a picture Safari trough Kenya I wouldn't want to upload 800 Pictures by clicking each one of them manually)

Second thing would be the Thumbnail preview, at least for Photos. When you're looking for a special Picture it's way easier to fly over the Thumbnails than to open each pic just to ensure that you have hit the wrong one.

I don't think that this will be difficult to realize for the MS guys. Also we're in the Beta Stadium right now...

Regards,

Bernd

Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Hi!

I absolutely agree with remco. It would be very handy to have the ability to upload several Files (STRG oder Shift and select pictures) or to upload whole directories (After a picture Safari trough Kenya I wouldn't want to upload 800 Pictures by clicking each one of them manually)

Second thing would be the Thumbnail preview, at least for Photos. When you're looking for a special Picture it's way easier to fly over the Thumbnails than to open each pic just to ensure that you have hit the wrong one.

I don't think that this will be difficult to realize for the MS guys. Also we're in the Beta Stadium right now...

Regards

Bernd

Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Hi!

Regards

Bernd

Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:47 PM
  • I'm not quite sure I understand.. are you using a special tool to upload the files now that limits it to only one file? I copied my whole Music folder on my PC to the Music share simply by selecting the Music directory/folder on my PC, hitting ctrl+c and then in the Music share folder on the Server, I hit ctrl+v. Copy and Paste the directory, not each individual file.

One thing I did notice, that seemed kinda odd, copying from my Vista PC -> Server was slow and used up around 90% of one of my processors. Copying from the Server to my PC was at a speed I'd expect though.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:02 PM
  •  ZacConnect wrote:
    I'm not quite sure I understand.. are you using a special tool to upload the files now that limits it to only one file? I copied my whole Music folder on my PC to the Music share simply by selecting the Music directory/folder on my PC, hitting ctrl+c and then in the Music share folder on the Server, I hit ctrl+v. Copy and Paste the directory, not each individual file.

One thing I did notice, that seemed kinda odd, copying from my Vista PC -> Server was slow and used up around 90% of one of my processors. Copying from the Server to my PC was at a speed I'd expect though.

Hi,

The 'one file' problem is when you use the remote connection to your pc from outside of your home network.

Remote you get the Web interface and that is limited to only add one file at the time to the upload que.

When on my lan I can indeed do the same as you discribe. but the beauty of this server is to do lots remote from outside the house.

Remco

Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Ahh, okay. See, I haven't tried the remote deal yet, so that's where I had my misunderstanding. I believe other people have worked around this issue by simply throwing all the files they want into a .zip file and then grabbing the .zip file. With the compression, it should even help to transfer it over broadband a bit quicker.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Most definately!  I'm a programming student and I would love to be able to upload all of my files at once instead of having to individually select each one!
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:42 PM
  • I know this is an old thread, but it has to be brought up again...

the ability to upload specific folder, and/or multiple files at once seems only logical. single file uploads is pretty much pointless. Even if you were willing to do 1 by 1, you'd have to sit and watch and wait until each one completes to start the next.

I'm really hoping this option is added as it seems fairly rudimentary and easy to implement.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I have to ask, and please pardon me if I seem a little short, but...

Has anyone actually bothered to try this with the CTP?!!!

I just did, and got a very pretty file upload dialog which let me select files (one at a time, to be sure, but that's a relatively minor annoyance), build an upload list, and upload a whole batch of files all at once.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:37 PM
  • yes I did try with CTP, and while I understand I can add file by file creating and upload list, you must realize that that isn't overly ideal if I had a directory that contained 100 word .docs or 50 jpgs I wanted to upload to my home server while away on business/travel/whatever. I guess that part of my post was stupid I will admit. You dont ahve to wait for the next to finish, but you have to agree that if I had dozens of files I wanted to move over, it would make more sense to be able to just point to the entire folder they are contained in versus queuing them up 1 by 1.

To me, it seems this feature should work no different than a standard FTP (even if accessed via IE). Folder upload, and even download should be native.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Well, let's put it this way:

There are fairly frequent mentions that people want to be able to upload more than one file at a time (and you've got to admit that your post said that in so many words), and they want to be able to see a progress bar while the upload is going on. I know I've seen both of those suggestions made within the last week. And both of those have been addressed in the CTP beta. (Yes, Virginia, there is a Progress Bar. )

As for the "dozens of files" scenario, I would probably upload a .zip file. This isn't FTP and it's not folder or share based (even though the interface makes it look that way) it's a web-based file management tool, it's as good as any I've used, and better than most at this point.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Understood on all points, and yes the ability "to upload more than one file at a time" was the basis of my initial post. I already conceded that my post was wrong on the fact that you can't do that, when you most certainly can. I also realize this request is posted over and over, thats why I didn't start a new thread and bumped this one up. One more "vote" for the suggestion right?

I've moved onto the point that you should be able to queue folders or multiple files in 1 click, not a dozen and it seems to me that they are in fact looking for some sort of "FTP-like" ability with the interface or why else even have it?

Sure its web-based file management tool and there's no question it is not a good one at that. But to make it GREAT it seems that the ability to queue a folder or multiple files at once is simply a given attribute to have. They are trying to make this easy for any soccer mom, or average user to use. Average users VERY MUCH like to share and push pictures around. At grandmas? Want to snag the latest pile of photos of little Billy's adventures in eating ice-cream? Drag and drop the whole directory to Grandma's desktop (or vice versa).

Honestly, I've never seen any web-based file management program that DOESN'T allow for entire folder queuing. I don't see why this one can't and shouldn't either.

Friday, April 27, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Indeed, when traveling it would be great if I could just upload the pictures I took, which are stored in subdirectories on my CompactFlash card, and make them available in the 'Photos' shared folder. This would alow my kids to watch the pictures I took as they are streamed to a television hooked up to a media-center device.

Friday, May 4, 2007 2:23 PM
  • Many of the requests I am seeing in the various forums are existing within WSS 3.0

Multiple file selections to upload are built in.

Thumbnails are built in to the picture libraries (but not synchronizing with picture folders i.e. file directories)

Calender sharing

Contact sharing

etc.....

I do not understand why Microsoft can't seem to utilize existing technologies (within Microsoft) in this product.  Yes, WSS 3.0 isn't yet part of SBS but I have to assume it will be in the near term.

Maybe the SYS limitations of 10G is the killer here but I would think that could be overcome maybe by allocating another partition to DATA or non-system additions like WSS 3 being easily installed and it would be nice to see in WHS V1 (from my perspective).

Maybe none of this makes any sense and if not... sorry for rambling on.

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Really?  There's a progress bar?  I've uploaded several files with the CTP beta and I've never seen a progress bar.

BTW, is there a limit to the size of file that can be uploaded to the CTP home server?  I've tried rolling many files into a zip and the server seems to give up on the upload before it completes.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 10:57 PM
  • I'd like to add my voice to everyone else's here so far, asking for the upload files feature to be beefed up in subsequent releases. Multiple file selection, or the ability to choose entire directories, would be nice.

Monday, May 21, 2007 2:36 PM
  •  timread wrote:

I'd like to add my voice to everyone else's here so far, asking for the upload files feature to be beefed up in subsequent releases. Multiple file selection, or the ability to choose entire directories, would be nice.

Ditto.

Monday, May 21, 2007 11:37 PM
  •  timread wrote:

I'd like to add my voice to everyone else's here so far, asking for the upload files feature to be beefed up in subsequent releases. Multiple file selection, or the ability to choose entire directories, would be nice.

I'm on this bandwagon.  You should be able to shift-click or ctrl-click to select multiple files and be able to upload an entire directory.  When using the uploader you just expect to be able to do that.

Friday, June 1, 2007 11:59 AM
  •  ZacConnect wrote:
    I'm not quite sure I understand.. are you using a special tool to upload the files now that limits it to only one file? I copied my whole Music folder on my PC to the Music share simply by selecting the Music directory/folder on my PC, hitting ctrl+c and then in the Music share folder on the Server, I hit ctrl+v. Copy and Paste the directory, not each individual file.

Hi ZacConnect,

I found a possbile workaround for the slow file transfer to whs:

Here is the link:  http://homeserver.wordpress.com/2007/05/20/i-found-another-possible-fix/

I hope it works for you!

Friday, June 1, 2007 5:19 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

(one at a time, to be sure, but that's a relatively minor annoyance),

One at a time is a major annoyance if you have more than 3 files to upload.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 6:22 AM
  • I agree, multiple file selection when uloading through the web interface should be able. Furthermore i would like to see some progressbar. Now when youy add multiple file 9one by one) and start to upload you don't get any indication of the remaining time or whatever... (CTP release).
    Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Ditto

Additonally, i don't think you can rest on the fact if you have many files to "simply zip them for upload".  Soccer mom doesnt know how to zip a file or doesnt want to be bothered.   Add to that the timeout when uploading a larger zip......

This rudamentary issue needs to be addressed *before* RTM

Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Agreed!  This *NEEDS* to be implimented.  Not doing so would seriously cripple the effectiveness of the home server.  Not only upload multiple files & folders, but easily download multiple files & folders.  Also, this needs to be cross-browser compatable, not just with IE.  Microsoft has been known to only impliment cool features on their browser only (ActiveX, Outlook Web Access).
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:25 PM
  • Jason, you can already download multiple files/folders easily. Check 'em off, and WHS will ship you a zip file.

As for "cool features," the one you're really looking for is ActiveX, and frankly, Microsoft cannot implement ActiveX on any browser other than Internet Explorer, for the simple reason that the only browser they wrote is IE. Without ActiveX, you can't have access to the WHS Console in the Remote Access Web site, so no Computers tab. Without ActiveX, you have to use alternative methods of composing and sending email, so OWA has reduced functionality.

I agree that there are some non-ActiveX related issues with browsers other than IE and WHS, however. There are some file name issues, for example. Microsoft should fix those issues, where they are the result of Microsoft doing something in a non-standards compliant way. If, OTOH, it's the browser that's not compliant with the appropriate standards, I don't see where Microsoft has an obligation to break their code in exactly the right way to work with that browser right now. They'd potentially have to do it for every major or minor version of the browser released. And a lot of those cool features are reliant on ActiveX, so you won't see them on other browsers.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Actually that is an improvement in CTP...

But theres still the simplicty of select a folder, and up/download its contents...

The guy with the digital camera is a *great* anaology.... yes ideally wed zip..

BUT ZIPPING stuff that doesnt compress is one of those stupid things... lets make it simple

Iv zipped up jpegs for convienence, but if your using a digital camera and you just want to quickly dump it remotely (using a guest PC).... this could be VERY useful...

Truth be told I made a comment about it and it was postponed post release. if i read correctly.. So hang in there Wink

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 9:53 PM
  • Well.. It could be argued that if MS is not doing something in  a standards compliant way, that they are intentionally breaking it for users of other operating systems.. Yah know, IE is only avalible on Windows (currently) last I checked.... Having full web interoperability with the major two (perhaps more if its done right) browsers, might help WHS, not hurt it.. since... much to Microsoft's dismay.. it ISNT only windows users that are interested in a home file server... and not being able to play with the neighbors fully due to web interop issues, is not a way to sell it...

Friday, July 13, 2007 11:00 AM
  • Using WHS CPT and clicked on the "very top box". Remoted in, using IE. It selected all 20 images I had on a folder,  zipped them, and let me download them.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 6:08 PM
  • what is CTP?
    Monday, July 30, 2007 4:55 PM
  •  

CTP means Community Technology Preview, a beta release made available for public beta testers.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:11 AM