Windows XP OEM - Activate after clean disk RRS feed

• Question

• We have difficult problem with Windows XP OEM in our Dell computer. We have OEM ghost images across our Dell PC (each one have their own OEM license).

Each one is geniune when we check geniune using MGADiag, we can install IE7, Windows Media Player 11, download from Microsoft download site...

Everything's oki Until  the user uses the Windows Disk Cleanup Utility. After running Disk CleanUp, user is required to activate windows in order to log in to computer on the next startup, they can not log in to their computer anymore.

We have to ghost that computer, It means that user lost all their software, configuration,... on their OS drive. We have nearly 1000 PCs, it makes tremedous stress on IT Team. We are so disapointed about this problem.
    We do the search through microsoft and internet but we can not find any issue related to this situation.

Does anyone have the same problem as ours. Please kindly advice !!

Thanks in advance.
    Phong

Thursday, January 11, 2007 4:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Phong,
    Something sounds definitely wonky with your ghost/master image and process.

Can you reproduce this on the bench with a test PC? (apply image, run through your procedure, then flip the BIOS date forward a month or two, and finally run the Disk Cleanup wizard).  I'd inspect the files for each section's cleanup Details discretely looking for system32 wpa files somehow getting chosen for removal.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Phong,
    Something sounds definitely wonky with your ghost/master image and process.

Can you reproduce this on the bench with a test PC? (apply image, run through your procedure, then flip the BIOS date forward a month or two, and finally run the Disk Cleanup wizard).  I'd inspect the files for each section's cleanup Details discretely looking for system32 wpa files somehow getting chosen for removal.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:39 AM
  • Hi StevePO,

I do the test as your test key (set the date to year 2009). But we are still geniune after Disk Cleanup :(

Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:03 PM