Can I reuse my Windows Key? RRS feed

• Question

• I had three computers one ran windows xp home premium, one had xp starter and the last had vista starter. All have since ceased working along with their hard drives.

I still have the install discs and serial numbers and product keys. Since I've had so many nightmares with windows and the pieces of crap they put their Operating system on I got a mac.

My job requires applications which are only available on windows. I was wondering if i could use boot camp on the mac to install one of the versions of windows on boot camp with the authentication keys and install discs.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:31 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately, Windows OEM operating system licenses cannot be transferred to a different computer, so you'll be unable to reuse those Windows OEM licences on a MAC running Boot Camp.  You would need to purchase a "Full Retail" edition of Windows 7 for installation on a MAC running Boot Camp.
    Carey Frisch

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:54 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:eabbfd21-6c0d-4632-92f8-a54abd78d601...
    Unfortunately, Windows OEM operating system licenses cannot be transferred to a different computer, so you'll be unable to reuse those Windows OEM licences on a MAC running Boot Camp.  You would need to purchase a "Full Retail" edition of Windows 7 for installation on a MAC running Boot Camp.
    Carey Frisch

... and there's also the minor fact that there's no such thing as 'xp starter' or 'xp home premium'

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:22 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, Windows OEM operating system licenses cannot be transferred to a different computer, so you'll be unable to reuse those Windows OEM licences on a MAC running Boot Camp.  You would need to purchase a "Full Retail" edition of Windows 7 for installation on a MAC running Boot Camp.
    Carey Frisch

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:54 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:eabbfd21-6c0d-4632-92f8-a54abd78d601...
    Unfortunately, Windows OEM operating system licenses cannot be transferred to a different computer, so you'll be unable to reuse those Windows OEM licences on a MAC running Boot Camp.  You would need to purchase a "Full Retail" edition of Windows 7 for installation on a MAC running Boot Camp.
    Carey Frisch

... and there's also the minor fact that there's no such thing as 'xp starter' or 'xp home premium'

--

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Hi Carey or Noel,

My computer which run Windows XP OEM Licenses just crashed and I though I had to reformat it but unfortunately I lost my Windows CD. My friend who used Windows XP offered me to use his Windows XP CD. Can I use that CD and install it with my original serial number in the same machine? Thank you.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:33 PM
  • "Sumodiardjo" wrote in message news:60c329ef-06fe-4632-93ac-68684f966eb9...

Hi Carey or Noel,

My computer which run Windows XP OEM Licenses just crashed and I though I had to reformat it but unfortunately I lost my Windows CD. My friend who used Windows XP offered me to use his Windows XP CD. Can I use that CD and install it with my original serial number in the same machine? Thank you.

Yes - provided that it's the same edition (Pro/Home) as yours, and that the Service Pack level is at least the same as yours.
    It should also be an OEM System Builder disk - but it's possible to get away with a Retail disk at a pinch, with a bit of fiddling.

--

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I had to restore my computer, same computer & software, and now my XP Serial code is not valid.  any fix for this?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Please download and run the   Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.

After running the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button, then Paste the report into your post.  Also, please include a brief question or pertinent background information that would be helpful in our endeavor to assist you.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:47 AM