none
- XP Home Edition - SP3 Slipstream Disc - Activate Windows - Invalid Product Key

Question

• Hi,

Here goes, I have 28 days to get an answer...

I have a genuine Windows XP Home Edition Product Key.
    I recently formatted my PC and installed a Slipstreamed SP3 Windows XP Home Edtion OS.
    Upon entering my Product Key to activate windows I receive an error stating:

Incorrect Product Key:

If the product key below was mistyped, please correct it and then click Retry.

(Needless to say ive retried and its definately a correct and genuine windows product key,
    which is found on the back of my Medion PC Tower)

I am then advised:

If you think you typed the correct product key and should not have received this message,
    Please contact a Customer Service Representative or visit the Microsoft Activation Assistance Web Site

The link is broken and leads nowhere.

Please can i have some assistance, as ive read on a forum somewhere that its something to do with the fact that a slipstream disc with SP3 can cause this problem, but i do not know what i can now do to resolve this issue..

I am growing concerned as i have less than 30 days to resolve this issue, and yet i have a Product Key!

Any (preferably speedy) assistance would be very muchly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Mr L V Davies

Also, if necessary i can forward you my Product Key so that you can check it.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:19 PM

Answers

• I used the telephone method and was put through to a call centre somewhere... I was then told by 2 (vry nice) different people that it was because the product key was supplied by Medion and I had to contact them on an 0870 number. They said I would have to ask them for a new disc as the issue was because the windows xp disc I used on the reinstallation was not the original I received from Medion. I didn't want to pay rates on an 0870 call just to have to wait for a new old disc and reformat all over again. I therefore did more investigating of my own on forums and found this link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/7/83712767-395c-4327-8e87-38be7b0cf75f/KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe an Official Microsoft tool which the 2 representatives must have had no knowledge of. I downloaded this software ran it and entered my product key. I was advised to reboot and bingo! My windows have been activated. Self help, better than the microsoft helpline! :) I would however like to thank you for your speedy response and efforts to assis me with my troubles. I wasn't expecing any respnse for at least 48hrs. Thank you!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:38 PM

All replies

• Also, I should mention that prior to formatting the computer, I did have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 Installed, and it was under the same product key that i am trying to use now...
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Hello lemonminge,

The change made to product keys for Service Pack 3 are only applicable to installations of Windows XP Pro.

If you are using the product key from a Certificate of Authenticity of a major manufacturer (as you are with the Medion PC), these product keys have been removed from the online activation database and require that they be activated using the Telephonic method.  Start the Activation Wizard and choose the option to activate telephonically.

Post back to let us know how you do :-)
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:39 PM
  • I used the telephone method and was put through to a call centre somewhere... I was then told by 2 (vry nice) different people that it was because the product key was supplied by Medion and I had to contact them on an 0870 number. They said I would have to ask them for a new disc as the issue was because the windows xp disc I used on the reinstallation was not the original I received from Medion. I didn't want to pay rates on an 0870 call just to have to wait for a new old disc and reformat all over again. I therefore did more investigating of my own on forums and found this link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/7/83712767-395c-4327-8e87-38be7b0cf75f/KeyUpdateTool_enu.exe an Official Microsoft tool which the 2 representatives must have had no knowledge of. I downloaded this software ran it and entered my product key. I was advised to reboot and bingo! My windows have been activated. Self help, better than the microsoft helpline! :) I would however like to thank you for your speedy response and efforts to assis me with my troubles. I wasn't expecing any respnse for at least 48hrs. Thank you!
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:38 PM
  • My dear man how do you run the KeyUpdateTool_enu? Are you not at a stage where you cannot do anything but enter the key?
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:17 PM
  • yes please explain how you run this,

I have a win7 machine, but it tells me i have to run this file on a winxp machine..

of which I am having the same problem you encountered with the product key.

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:36 AM
  • yes please explain how you run this,

I have a win7 machine, but it tells me i have to run this file on a winxp machine..

of which I am having the same problem you encountered with the product key.

Please repost your problem in your OWN, NEW thread - and include a copy of your MGADiag report from the affected machine, together with details of your exact situation.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:27 AM
  • That was awesome info!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:33 PM