E-Mail set regarding to a queue? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone!

I've set up a queue which handles every e-mail that is sent to contact@company.com. This works fine, however it is not always the case that the e-mail is sent to that address which means that we have to manually assign it to that queue. First I thought that would be easy, just click set regarding and pick the queue. When I tried it I couldn't pick a queue, which makes sense, now that I have thought about it.

Is there a way to assign an e-mail directly from outlook to a queue or do I really have to click track in crm (if the mail hasn't already been tracked) and then go to activities to assign it to that queue?

I'd be real glad if I got some ideas as to how I can achieve that. :-)

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:22 PM

Answers

• It's been a while since I tested it, and I don't have a test infrastructure handy at the moment, but I think that 'Forward as Attachment' option should preserve the original sender's details.

See Outlook (2003): Tools > Options > Preferences > E-mail Options > On replies and forwards > When forwarding a message: [Attach original message].

But the trouble is that this will apply to all your forwarded messages.

Otherwise, you'll have to use the long way with lots of clicks or develop a custom feature. Or train your senders to stop using the wrong email address ; )

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by boert03 Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:06 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hello, as you suggested: from Outlook you could click Track in CRM, then in your CRM Activities grid you could assign the email to the appropriate queue. This should work, but involves a lot of clicks.

What happens if you just forward the email to contact@company.com? Depending on how your email router is set up you might need to forward as attachment.

Hope this helps?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hello Neil and thanks for your suggestion.

The problem with forwarding is that then the from-field would have my e-mail-address in it and the to-field contact@company.com, or am I wrong? I haven't actually tried forwarding so this might work just fine, I will try that.

Would it be possible to create a Button in Outlook (through ISV.config) with the same functionality as the assign-button? So that I can just click assign, pick the queue and I'm done?

Update: just tried forwarding the mail and from what I've seen my assumption was right, the original sender was lost in the process. (Well, the address was still in the e-mail-text but I want to be able to run an advanced find later on)

• Edited by boert03 Monday, November 29, 2010 3:39 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 3:09 PM
  • It's been a while since I tested it, and I don't have a test infrastructure handy at the moment, but I think that 'Forward as Attachment' option should preserve the original sender's details.

See Outlook (2003): Tools > Options > Preferences > E-mail Options > On replies and forwards > When forwarding a message: [Attach original message].

But the trouble is that this will apply to all your forwarded messages.

Otherwise, you'll have to use the long way with lots of clicks or develop a custom feature. Or train your senders to stop using the wrong email address ; )

Neil

• Marked as answer by boert03 Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:06 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 3:38 PM
  • I forgot to use "forward as attachement" :-/

But I don't think it would be the best solution if every e-mail gets forwarded like this.

I guess I'll just have to click my way through and train them to use the right address.

If it is okay with you I would like to not mark your response as the answer just yet, maybe someone has another idea. (Please don't take this as me doubting your competence or anything like that, but in this short period of time not too many users read my question and maybe somebody can provide me with another approach.) If any of the moderators think this is the answer please mark it. :-)

Thanks again for your quick support. :-)

Monday, November 29, 2010 3:49 PM